Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So until my Grom comes in, I decided to get a CBR250. I figured it would be good for long(er) distances and use on highways. It's coming up to the initial service where they have to do a valve check and the guys on the CBR250 forum say that is an expensive process. Fortunately the next one is at 16k miles. I took a look at the MSX125 manual that someone posted and it has a valve check every 2.5k miles. Is the Grom going to be an expensive maintenance proposition? I'll still get one, I just need to know if I need to hold off on trips to Canada with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldnt even do the initial valve check on the CBR - does it call for it at 600 miles? Highly highly doubt itll be out of spec - are people on the forum saying they are?

Anyway, totally different process for valve check on the Grom.... I dont see it taking more than a half hour for check/adjust on it.

Grom:

Under $5 for an oil change. Spark plug every once in a while. Valve adjust every once in a while, etc. All things that can easily be done by yourself in the garage. Pick up a service manual or wait for the How-tos to start poppin up on here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Matt isn't lying. I've ripped into my Grom already just to see how easy some of this stuff is. You'll be much happier doing most of the work yourself unless you just really like your local shop and would rather pay them to do it. Regardless, there's no fairing removal required and it's literally just a few bolts to get in the head and check the valve clearance. SUPER EASY!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldnt even do the initial valve check on the CBR - does it call for it at 600 miles? Highly highly doubt itll be out of spec - are people on the forum saying they are?
The CBR250 manual does indeed call for a valve check at 600 miles. You have to get it done or Honda will not honor your warranty. That appears to be the main reason people get it done. A few people have reported that they needed an adjustment, but I think it's a minority. My plan for the 250 is to have the shop do the initial and then every other one after that. I suspect I'll have a similar plan for the Grom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering how hard it would be to do the maintenance like valve clearances and stuff by yourself? Because I do that all on my current bike, and its very easy (ninja 500). Should a Grom be comparably easy?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was wondering how hard it would be to do the maintenance like valve clearances and stuff by yourself? Because I do that all on my current bike, and its very easy (ninja 500). Should a Grom be comparably easy?
A Grom valve adjust will be MUCH easier than Ninja 500. Grom doesnt have shims to replace like your 500 does, just loosen a locknut, set the appropriate clearance, tighten nut! Simplified version, but youve done much harder work doing a valve adjust on the 500.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a CRF250L (same engine as the CBR250). The 600 mile check on it was only $70. There were 2 of the 4 valve clearances that needed slight adjustment.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is maintenance on the Grom generally simple enough for a rookie? I don't have much in the way of tools but I have done an oil change on my car and I'm well versed at assembling Ikea furniture.
It's very easy, even the valve clearance, however you might want to doublecheck your tools and make sure you have some decent stuff. With labor day sales going on right now you can pick up a 100-150 piece set of Craftsman tools from Sears that comes in a plastic carrying case for less than $100. The next best time to buy tools will be Black Friday.

With a basic $50-$100 set of Craftsman tools and a feeler guage though you're pretty much set on taking care of you Grom (tool-wise).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy a Honda Grom shop manual. It'll likely walk you through most process' step by step. The owners manual that came w/ my CRF250X walks you through the valve lash process very nicely. The Grom manual leaves a bit to be desired. Does it even mention checking valve lash in the Grom owners manual?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a CRF250L (same engine as the CBR250). The 600 mile check on it was only $70. There were 2 of the 4 valve clearances that needed slight adjustment.
The 600 mile service on the CBR is running me about $400. It's a 4 hour service. On the other hand, I got the bike for about $3700 so I guess that's how they make up the difference. I'm sorta OK with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure w/ the release of the Grom the maintenance can't be that bad, after all it is a Honda! Like any other bike so long as you have the tools & a general idea of what you're doing or better yet if it's still under warranty you know what to do! :D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
these motors are so simple. the grom is so simple. maintenance is cheap but it also depends if you do it yourself vs going to dealer and if you do pay someone to do the work how much labor and parts is. some people get better deals im sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm surprised you need to be checking valve clearances so soon on the grom and cbr250. The first valve checks on my Honda 919 and cbr600rr are at 16k miles and people usually report everything in spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts