Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the grom out on the highway today, really didn't have a problem cruised 63mph, 68ish with some more in reserve when drafting a truck. I'll try and get the vid up this evening.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So I guess at that speed everything was good? Bike was stable?
What's your gas mileage like if you've been keeping track of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would be nervous to take the Grom out on the highway. It seems too small and not powerful enough for me to feel safe. I'd stick to the side roads instead.

Maybe your video will be able to change my mind though.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would be nervous to take the Grom out on the highway. It seems too small and not powerful enough for me to feel safe. I'd stick to the side roads instead.

I hear you on that, I think staying in the slow lane you should be fine, just need to be very aware of your surroundings, probably more than when on a sport bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i take mine on the highway almost every time i ride it to work. it's only about a 10 mile stretch with stops for tolls along the way. i can keep up with traffic sitting up at 60mph fine. with tail wind and a ninja tuck i pass cars too. so far GPS'd top speed with out drafting is 73.6mph

·
Registered
55 Posts

This is me on the freeway in Houston, Tx.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZK3UFUrb0&feature=share&list=UUZtNnNu7FQkBEYvoMxaHODw]Honda Grom Freeway - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
55 Posts
i take mine on the highway almost every time i ride it to work. it's only about a 10 mile stretch with stops for tolls along the way. i can keep up with traffic sitting up at 60mph fine. with tail wind and a ninja tuck i pass cars too. so far GPS'd top speed with out drafting is 73.6mph
Same here. I've had my workout app on the Iphone running a few times and it has confirmed 73.

·
Registered
134 Posts
u guys are so lucky,

my freeway onramps are so short, its hard even for a normal size car to get up to speed, on the grom i was a traffic hazard merging onto the freeway because i could not accelerate upto speed as fast as i wanted to

·
Registered
128 Posts
I take my Grom on the interstate all the time. What you often find around town is that there are other slower vehicles as well. I have even had to pass a few drivers with the Grom. The Grom accelerates pretty well and that helps. I try not to go over 64 mph which is redline, but I ride a lot right at that speed. Seems perfectly safe to me, but I also ride mopeds on roads with 60 mph traffic and I can only go 40 mph tops. We have good shoulders for bikes on most of our secondary roads and I just use those. I rode into San Antonio by interstate a couple weeks ago...50 miles, then rode with a group another 150 miles including some more interstate riding. The Grom is remarkably stable for such a light bike. It handles 64 mph much better than a couple of 250 cruisers I owned which sounded and felt like they were ready to fall apart. Now I hope the Grom holds up with a lot of high speed riding. I did put the high speed spark plug in. They say the engine is bullet proof. I intend to test that theory. I feel safer at 64 than at 85 in the passing lane and probably am. One of the biggest issues on interstates is people in front of you slamming on their brakes. With the Grom, you are going slower so have much more time to react, usually. I would never draft a truck though for that reason. Plus if I am in a hurry, I have 3 fast bikes and could take any one of those. I just prefer the Grom on the highway cause it's so much fun. Every ride is an adventure. 111 mpg is pretty sweet too. Still, if you don't feel comfortable on the highway, you shouldn't ride it. Use the access roads beside it. A few more stop lights and signs, but often there is not much traffic there. I use access roads for my Honda Metropolitan. All our access roads have 2 lanes so someone can always pass if they want to...just like on the interstate when you keep to the right lane.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Side roads seem like a much safer bet to me. Gives me the space I need to feel safe and like I won't fall victim to someone else's mistake. On any motorcycle if you get into an accident you lose, and on the Grom it is even more true. Maybe I am over careful, I don't know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I could see shorter on ramps an issue to get the grom up to speed to cut in. Its better to just stay on the scenic side roads to be safe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice video
Like I tell people no guts no glory,

Any mods on the Grom, counter sprocket change, air box mods, tire change or all STOCK.
Oh and the weight of the rider?
Thanks and ride safe
At this time the bike was all stock. My weight is 190lbs.

Since then I have cut the oem exhaust and done the air box mods. I still have the same top speed of 70 with tuck and draft and mid 60's sitting up right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How fast were you able to get your grom up to? Were drivers friendly or did you run into some a-holes?
Personally I can get mine up to 60 no matter what. From it depends on current wind speed and if there's enough traffic around me to block it. I would say I can avg. 64mph daily and on a good day I can cruise at 67-68mph add a downhill ride and I'll tap 70mph.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How fast were you able to get your grom up to? Were drivers friendly or did you run into some a-holes?
50-55 is guaranteed with slightly more being on the flat or downhill. Drivers have for the most part been fine, but Minneapolis traffic is pretty aggressive during commute times and I've been pushed around a but but nothing abnormal.

You'd actually be surprised how often 55 mph is enough or even too fast on a commute.
Personally I can get mine up to 60 no matter what. From it depends on current wind speed and if there's enough traffic around me to block it. I would say I can avg. 64mph daily and on a good day I can cruise at 67-68mph add a downhill ride and I'll tap 70mph.
You my friend must be far smaller and lighter than me because I've hit 67 once drafting a big truck downhill but in no way can count on 60+. It happens, but not easily.

Though at 6'3" and 240 lbs. I'm far bigger than the average Grom rider, I think. But I find it far more comfy to commute with than the CBR for some reason.....

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Side roads seem like a much safer bet to me. Gives me the space I need to feel safe and like I won't fall victim to someone else's mistake. On any motorcycle if you get into an accident you lose, and on the Grom it is even more true. Maybe I am over careful, I don't know.

i've seen a sport bike that has penetrated a passenger side car door at 60ish? mph, been awhile. the bike did not go all the way though, killed both passengers and rider. Picture is floating around the web if someone wants to repost, its a pretty good reminder (the car and bike were on display at some expo or conference)

Our speed limit on the highways in my area is only 55mph, they also have lots of on and off ramps so they make great short cuts around town. Although the busy times of day tend to get people going 70mph at times. I also wouldnt be cought driving it at 2am on a friday, on local roads or highways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts