Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got to work and was just looking around my bike and noticed this. Ended up loading it in my truck and taking it home. Didnt wanna risk anything. Noticed both nuts are not lock nuts (might look into that). A replacement plate was under $3 just gotta wait for it. A bolt on the exhaust cover had gone missing the other day so I had been curious if anything else was loose. Looks like it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
there's been other posting of the same thing that happened to other Grom owners.

Best bet loctite "blue"

Harleys are famous for shaking things loose esp on a long 500 mile ride one way.

I worked on aero-space hardware that were launch via rocket and if you did not torque or use the correct loctite or glue compound this is what happens from vibration.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYYWQKh-bU]Plain nut self-loosening - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
loctite everything!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
This happened to me, and dont get the yoshi stand stoppers they are completely junk, I would not lift my grom with it, retarded design how its held on by tiny screw

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Good idea to go over all the bolts whenever you change to oil. Can never be to safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I lost one but noticed it before any harm was done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just lost my front header heatshield bolt. Started making a bad sound @ 3800 mi. Any tips on where to order a replacement online?

·
Registered
128 Posts
This almost happened to me. I failed to tighten the adjusting and locking nuts after adjusting the chain, but since I was watching the chain tension, etc. after a ride, I noticed the nuts had loosened and were about to fall off. Same thing happened with the license plate wing nuts. I nearly lost the license plate, but it was still attached by one loose wing nut when I caught it. Now I use blue Loctite on those nuts and check them before any ride. Lots of vibration for such a small engine, I guess. I also use a red Sharpie and draw a vertical line up through the nuts and bolts so I can see at a glance if something has moved....esp. the axle nut although that I'm careful to torque to specs.

·
Registered
995 Posts
This even happened to me in WINTER when i would take my RWD V8 beast out to drift every day there was a good amount of snow out. Eventually some of the wheel nuts came loose. Thankfully i picked up on it when i noticed one lug nut went missing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This happened to me, and dont get the yoshi stand stoppers they are completely junk, I would not lift my grom with it, retarded design how its held on by tiny screw
yeah I was disappointed by the Yosh adapters also and my nuts also loosened up just using the stand.

Remember to get BLUE LOCTITE! not RED

·
Registered
154 Posts
This even happened to me in WINTER when i would take my RWD V8 beast out to drift every day there was a good amount of snow out. Eventually some of the wheel nuts came loose. Thankfully i picked up on it when i noticed one lug nut went missing.
Torque those suckers to the right spec lug nuts should not come loose no matter how reckless you drive. Over tightening lug nuts or any other fastener causes it to stretch and loose its tensile strength allowing side loads to stretch the bolt/stud even more. Replace those studs they are done for

1 - 17 of 17 Posts