Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats your riding history?

is the Grom your first bike?

what are you going to use your Grom for?

i get the feeling majority of grom owners are new to riding, and a very small percentage of new owners are buying it as a toy or secondary item.

ive been riding for 5-6years now, owned a handful of bikes:

FZ6
K9 Gsxr 750
K8 Gsxr 1000
3x different 09 R1

and now currently:
06 600rr - trackwhore
09 R1 - main street bike
14 Grom - for toying around town, and commuting to work, and teaching my gf how to ride

i like the grom, its easy and very forgiving, but man i wish $3800 gave me 20hp instead of 10, i ride that thing WOT everywhere, i mean everywhere, in a corner - no problem 3rd gear WOT, parking it in my garage, no problem WOT 1st gear

the thing is tooooo much fun, just kidna wished it had more power, but im coming from a r1 with too much power for the street :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
For about a year (in 2002) I had a gsxr 750 as my first bike.... Too fast and I knew I would end up killing myself so I got rid of it and stuck to fast cars for a while (Vette, Evo, ctsv, etc....) then I got the itch to ride again and gas was getting stupid expensive so I got a ruckus and had fun modding it (GET forever! Lol). Finally got the grom to expand my ability to travel further from town.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Been riding since 97. Too many bikes to list. Everything from cruisers to sport. Current list of bike is in signature. Rebel is the wife's. the grom will share around town and general toy status with the crf

·
Registered
149 Posts
Number one: 1986 Honda XR80R
Number two: 2006 Ninja 250
Number three: 2006 Vulcan 750 (RIP)
Number four: Grom (soon)
Number five: 2013 Honda CB1100 (soon)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow i guess the n00bs are scared to say the groms are their first bike!

common dont hide, i figure 90% of the owners would be new guys/gals buying the bike to get into riding, and only the 10% of the owners want to release their inner hooligan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years, on the road for 14 years.

Here are the street legal ones:

1972 Yamaha 175 Enduro (Sold)
1982 Honda Trail 110 (Sold)
1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (Sold)
1994 Harley FXSTC (Sold)
1975 Honda XL350 (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki KLR650 (Sold)
1969 Honda Trail 90 (Current)
2014 Honda Grom (Current)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Passed my bike test in UK in 1998 and nearly killed myself on my first bike

ZX6R trying to keep up with my friend :rolleyes:

Next was another ZX6R quickly followed by a 2000 CBR 929 Fireblade. I soon wreacked that after hitting some diesel on a roundabout.

I had started doing track days by this point and after the Blade was written off i decided to buy a track bike.

So i bought an Ex British Supersport GSXR600 and loved it. I came close to giving racing a go but as i work abroad from UK i gave it a miss.

After missing a road bike i bought a 98 R1 gradually modified it over the next few years.

At this time i also had a YZ250 and a YZ450 Supermoto road legal.

I then decided to move to Thailand so sold everything and here i am today.

I miss the big bikes but know i would die for sure on the streets of Thailand on something with some power. I still have a 911 Turbo in UK with 700bhp for my power rush when i go back on holiday :D

I currently have a Yamaha Nouvo with a 158cc engine in it with Brembo brakes front and rear.

Looking forward to getting back to Pattaya to pick up my White MSX and start modifying it ASAP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm 49, been riding since I was 12

Raced motocross for about 7 years (where I started at 12)

Had many bikes, from an XT500 Yamaha (one of my favs) to a GS1000 to a CB650 Custom (and others I can't remember)...and that's not counting my MX bikes

I presently have a 1975 CB360T, in near mint condition. It's not very fast and doesn't handle well, but it's cool to ride around on However, being a 35 year old engine, I worry about dependability, so I don't ride it too far.

I saw the Grom online, don't even remember where, and knew I wanted it, I just wanted an "around town racer." Something to run to the store, run errands and just the around town crap I do without having to drive my truck.

It's funny how many motocross and road racers are snapping up these Groms, it's the "hot new toy" of people in the motorcycle industry.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
-started riding in 2007 on a gs500f
-went through the whole pile of bikes in the sig.
-have the dubious honor of being the first one in the US to blow up an aprilia dorsoduro (notsoduro?) and lemon lawed that.
-started doing track days in 2009
-started racing minigp in 2011
-volunteer at the breast cancer 3 day on the bike every year
-taught a few people to ride (some quite successfully, others not so much)
-tinker with lots of things, part out bikes sometimes, etc.

Reactions: superduty

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Im not sure, we are in nj/pa/de but there are clubs almost anywhere where theres an outdoor carting track.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am 42, been riding street since 16. The Grom is bike #2. I also ride a Kawasaki Versys. The Grom is my round town funnin' machine and my V handles everything else.

Both have their place and I love them both!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
common no noobs, dont be shy!

maybe honda really missed the market segment, i think they were trying to get new blood into riding motorcycles, instead they are getting old blood ppl who want to release their inner hooligan!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
In order:

1987 YSR 50 in 88'
1975 Yamaha 500 two stroke café style - Cops confiscated in 91' (riding dirty)
1993 XL250L
1993 CBR 600
1998 CBR 600
2002 R1
2004 CBR 600
2004 CRF 100 (for horse farm)
2002 Yamaha Road warrior
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
2014 Honda Grom

Currently riding Speed Triple and Grom

·
Registered
105 Posts
2002ish, 66 Vespa Gt -Still have it.
Variety of Vespas and Stella's
Cb 350
76 Suzuki GT750

Grom is the first 4 stroke I've ridden a bunch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Riding since just before my 4th birthday, about to turn 41 in October. Grom is the second brand new bike this year in the garage, the first was a leftover '11 600RR this spring, and I had a 93 VFR in the garage but I sold it yesterday afternoon; though I still have a 04 WR450F that I dual sport to round out the current crop. Gonna pick up a track bike or outer the spring once I get though the winter.

Past rides include: Z50, a 70, 110, 185 and 200s ATC, XL80S, CL360, XS650, 90 VFR750, 87 VFR700, Superhawk, 929, 954, 06 1000RR, SV650, CR250, 2 KLR650's, XR650L, XR250R, RM125.....god I'm not even a quarter though the list!!! I'm a bike whore, sorry; grew up in a house where my dad and I restored vintage Japanese bikes so I'm always buying and selling things.

Grom looked cool, I thought it would be a cool addition and it was :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts