Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find this on here, though it seems like the obvious spot to get info on the Grom.

So, here it is, from the Gizmag | New and Emerging Technology News article Grom: Honda's pumped-up monkey bike hits a sweet spot. I'm going to paraphrase a little to make sure I've got the meat in here and not so much editor drama.

The Grom is powered by a 124.9 cc air-cooled four-stroke with programmed fuel injection that generates 10 hp (7.5 kW) at 7,000 rpm and peak torque of 8 ft-lb (10.8 Nm) at 5500 rpm. The engine is nearly square (52.4 mm bore and 57.9 mm stroke), which provides a superior balance between top-end power and mid-range throttle response. The power reaches the rear wheel via a four-speed manual transmission, which is controlled in the same way as larger bikes. While Honda is yet to provide official fuel economy estimates, reports suggest gas mileage of around 100 mpg (2.3 L/100 km).

Top speed is about 65 to 70 mph (104 to 112 km/h) on a flat road, but it would take a braver person than myself to take a Grom out on the freeway. Its natural habitat seems to be city and suburban neighborhoods, perhaps with a side order of lazy country roads.

The Grom has a 1.2-inch inverted front fork with 3.9 inches of travel and only 25 degrees of rake, which combines with the rather small wheels, the low (29.7 in) seat height, and the 225 lb (102 kg) curb weight to provide a rider-friendly experience on the road. At the rear, the ride is cushioned by a single shock with 4.1 inches of travel. Stopping is provided by 220 mm front and 190 mm rear hydraulic disc brakes. Rather than using Honda's Combined Braking System, which applies front and rear brakes simultaneously, the Grom's braking levers independently work the front and back brakes.

...The Grom is a 3/4-scale version of a motorcycle. The 47.4-inch wheelbase, the 12- and 13-inch wheels, the 225 lb curb weight and the 125 cc motor are all suggestive of a scooter. However, Honda has gone out of its way to equip the Grom with motorcycle-style controls and styling cues, such as the projector-style headlamp and the bodywork reminiscent of a dirt bike.

From a practical point of view, the size and power of the Grom seems to suggest that Honda is positioning the bike as an ideal vehicle on which first-time riders learn how to properly operate a motorcycle without putting too much power between their legs. The entry price of US$3,000 also lends weight to this argument.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts