Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the next bikes I'd like to get is some sort of adventure bike, likely a BMW F800GS or R1200GS. So I started following the local BMW dealer last year and found out about this smaller intro to MC rallies called the Nutmeg 400. The rally is open to anyone but since it's held at a BMW dealer and most of the people that do these ride BMWs about 75% of the field was BMWs.

The Nutmeg 400
April 19, 2014

The Nutmeg 400 is a new ride for the new rider or the rally veteran who simply wants a good time and a little practice.

No fancy food, no photo bonuses and no fanfare, just a great day of motorcycling in the tradition of the famed Minuteman 1000, just shorter.

The details.

The Nutmeg 400 will start and finish from Max BMW Motorcycles in either Brookfield or South Windsor, Ct.

This is a 10 hr "mini endurance" rally. Bonus locations will be sent to riders via email and posted to the website on Thursday, April 17. Bonus books will be handed out Saturday morning. There will be a mandatory rider's meeting at 07:30.Coffee and donuts will be provided.

The ride will start at 08:00 and the 15 minute penalty window will open at 18:00 hrs. Riders not in by 18:15 will be scored as DNF.

There will be a "lunch bonus" where riders will earn points for stopping at a designated location for a midday meal. The morning coffee, midday meal and a sumptious dinner of burgers, bloaters and beans are included in the entry fee of $25.

Registration closes on Wednesday April 14 or we reach 100 riders; whichever comes first.

On Friday evening at 18:00 hours members of the rallystaff will present a seminar on LD riding and competitive endurance rallies. Pizza will be served, please indicate if you plan on attending when you register.

The Nutmeg 400 is an AMA Sanctioned event. We thank the AMA for their support.
Last year I did it on the KLX250SF I had at the time. But for this year I had the Grom (sold the KLX and my '71 CB500 is leaking oil) so what the hell let's do this!

Starting point was about an hour away from my house, so I caved and got a hotel room the night before 5 miles away, so I didn't have to leave my house before 6am to get there on time. All total today was 340 miles between hotel to rally, rally, and ride home. Yesterday getting there and signing in was a scant 42 miles.

Basically you get a rallybook and gps files a few days before and you plan out a route that you think you can make. Since it's impossible to make it to every single bonus.

This is all the point this year: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z_BkUf_JmoPE.k-SRV246I0fw

Most are simple, go here, find an answer (i.e What is the name on the plaque?), only one is a little more complex. There is a lunch bonus that you have to arrive between 12-1:15 pm and then required to stay for 45 minutes before leaving. It's also the biggest single bonus at 250 points where most are between 10-50 points. I saw a few people miss the bonus by 8 minutes, no points for them.

For not being able to hit highways, my route was pretty respectable. Scored a 694. About 65 people were in it this year, and the top 10 started in the 800 range. I'll post the full results when they send them out.

Defintely a fun way to spend the day on the Grom!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too much riding and in a time window of making it every where and back in 10 hours I never seem to take any pictures. Hopefully some other people got my picture at least at some stops. Forgot to mention the feedback on the Grom was 100% positive, everybody thought it was a neat bike, loved the mileage, saw that the ergo's were not bad. A couple people even knew about them already, one wants to get one for his daughter in a couple years. Somebody actually saw another one out on the road today other than me because it was riding in a group of sport bikes. And just about everyone that didn't know the size guessed 125cc correctly.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

Sounds like it was fun. Hope you come up with more pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts