Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Great forum here. Can anyone tell me how the Grom might compare to an old Honda XL125 trail bike in terms of acceleration? On my 1984 XL125 I couldn't seem to pull away from the tailgaters when the light turned green. Thanks! (I think a test ride of the Grom would hold the ultimate answer.)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Gear different for trail riding, change the counter sprocket and main sprocket and you will see the difference.

Same thing with my 1971 SL-125, very slow on the start like a snails pace due to the gear size of the counter sprocket and main sprocket. which was setup for trail riding and hill climbing.

I don't have my GROM yet due to the dealers around Northern Calif are having a hard time getting them in and looks like Dec for most dealers.

I do have a SL-125 Honda and that is what I'm going by for reference of speed on the roadway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't find any official Grom 0-60 times but from what I read online and on the forum it is somewhere around 7 seconds. That is respectable acceleration. You should be able to get rid of those pesky tailgaters anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This should give you an idea of take.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzgA241uAE4&feature=share&list=UUZtNnNu7FQkBEYvoMxaHODw]Commute on a Honda Grom - YouTube[/ame]

Go to 11:15

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can't find any official Grom 0-60 times but from what I read online and on the forum it is somewhere around 7 seconds. That is respectable acceleration. You should be able to get rid of those pesky tailgaters anyway.
Not even close. My Grom in stock form took a hot minute to get to 60. A college girl in a VW Bug could dust my ass if she knew how to put the pedal down. Somebody posted up a race between a Grom and an old CB125S and the Grom won by a fair margin. Trust me, it's definitely enough to get ahead in daily traffic, but you won't win any races unless it's against a small scooter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not even close. My Grom in stock form took a hot minute to get to 60. A college girl in a VW Bug could dust my ass if she knew how to put the pedal down. Somebody posted up a race between a Grom and an old CB125S and the Grom won by a fair margin. Trust me, it's definitely enough to get ahead in daily traffic, but you won't win any races unless it's against a small scooter.
Just draft behind a Hayabusa or ZX1400 and you might get up to speed fast:)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't think its that bad. 125s should be able to keep up with most eco 4 cylinder boxes up until 60mph.

Reactions: Gomer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, white devil, I remember now the video where the Grom races the CB125S. That CB125S is probably considerably faster than my old XL125 because of the different gearing. Good video Mr Mangos... That speedo went up to the mid 50's pretty quickly. I like what I'm hearing and seeing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think its that bad. 125s should be able to keep up with most eco 4 cylinder boxes up until 60mph.
I'll see if I can get my girlfriend to race me in her Civic. It's a 1.6L sedan and if she can beat me anything can lol. I think she will. Doesn't make me love my Grom any less :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'll see if I can get my girlfriend to race me in her Civic. It's a 1.6L sedan and if she can beat me anything can lol. I think she will. Doesn't make me love my Grom any less :D
Cant expect too much from a 125 cc bike anyways. but it will be cool to see that happen. Throw a busa engine on your grom and you'll be able to run laps around the civic. haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts