Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Grom, I love the look, and the what it seems to be intended for, but haven't actually had the pleasure of running across one in person yet...

The local (okay national) bike racing org that I'm a member of has a class called "mini's". It's where kids usually get introduced to asphalt sprint racing on *really* small bikes, and big kids play with their "pitbikes"

Compared to a motarded Honda XR100, basically running street tires instead of knobbies, maybe some suspension, and a couple bolt-ons like like a pipe/carb, what should I expect from a Grom?

The mini's usually run wide open, momentum being the key to laptimes, so trusting the tires and suspension is pretty important.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
i think you could open up a huge debait on this one. but i would say it depends what kind of riding/racing you want the kid to learn. i think the grom would teach more road/racing riding. being able to rely more on decent engine performance, brakes, and suspension.
if you wanted to develop a dirt rider, than why not leave them on an off road bike...
i guess, lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A debate isn't bad, and I agree with what you said.

but, as usual, I wasn't clear... in addition to the kids running the mini-GP bikes, the big kids (adults) will enter their pitbikes and beat each other up at slow motion racing... It's fun...

The Grom looks like a better all-round pitbike than my TTR 125 or the XR100/150 bikes because it's also street legal. that's a big deal at tracks like Barber that require plates on all bikes once they are out of the paddock.

I'm just wondering how 'trackable' the Grom will be in a fairly OEM state, after the requisite safety wiring and light coverings...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A debate isn't bad, and I agree with what you said.

but, as usual, I wasn't clear... in addition to the kids running the mini-GP bikes, the big kids (adults) will enter their pitbikes and beat each other up at slow motion racing... It's fun...

The Grom looks like a better all-round pitbike than my TTR 125 or the XR100/150 bikes because it's also street legal. that's a big deal at tracks like Barber that require plates on all bikes once they are out of the paddock.

I'm just wondering how 'trackable' the Grom will be in a fairly OEM state, after the requisite safety wiring and light coverings...
Very, depending on the rider. I imagine it would be quite fun!

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I still have my CRF80, I'll run them head to head. :)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
racing with njminigp it seems like the grom will be a class-annihilator. like it will be too much bike for the crf100/nsr/nsf/ttr125/etc. to keep up with. can't wait!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You could also bore the GROM out to 250cc as well.

I think the GROM is overall a better bike.

Like you said they usually run those things wide open. I don't think that'll be the case for the GROM.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Dirtbike wheels usually dont match. Larger front and smaller rear for getting over obstacles

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was a little tight, but gives you a basic idea of what our parking lot racing looks like. We use a lot fewer barriers, and don't have any sort of organization, but that looked like it was part of a larger event.

I'll see if I can find any video of our parking lot events, and see if there's any onboard from one of the big tracks we run with WERA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvi7LqWRJ1w]Dave Opie Kevin Patrick Parking Mini Moto parking lot racin backin it in zippernoodle - YouTube[/ame]

A couple of the guys messing around on the TTR's. Aside from just plain being a blast to slide around, they are great training tools for the bigger bikes.

I think that this was the day that Opie (Chris Caylor) was trying to get "backing it in" through to the guys. It's hard to teach on a big bike, but there's very little consequense for getting it wrong on the little guys.

I'm not sure the Grom will translate as well with the little wheels, but it might be an even better tool...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts