Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grommed for 30 miles each way city ride to two wheel tuesday (a rider gathering in northern liberties with a bunch of cafe/touring/adv/sv/ducati etc. guys). Yesterday was a "theme night" and the theme was "small displacement". Eeeeveryone wanted to take it for a spin (must have been 20 people on it throughout the night) and everyone wanted to know about it.

I had to grom through the city, because on our highways everyone including grandmas goes 80. What a riot. This bike is great for city work. It has enough power to pull away from the average cage. It's small enough to filter almost anywhere. It's maneuverable enough that if your filtering line gets too tight, you can quickly swap over to filtering between different lanes. In the city, the bike is actually deceptively fast. You constantly end up going 50 in a 30 or so. You end up changing lanes constantly because you need all of 6 feet between cars to do it.
And nobody really sees you cause you're smaller than anything. But that doesn't actually matter since you're so maneuverable. On a 4 lane street, changing lanes is almost like the bike has a neural connection to your brain. You think about being in the other lane and there you are.

One thing it did not do well with is bumps. Because of the soft suspension, bumps in general are kind of an event, and bumps when hard on the brakes can be disastrous (locked front tire... :eek:).

I had a great time, though i don't think i want to do that again (i don't like going through the hood and stopping at 50 traffic lights...)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me know next time. I am 5 min from nolib and need an excuse to ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
every tuesday night, 6pm-9pm, at "the abbaye" in northern liberties (3rd and fairmount) the group philadelphiariders.com (sorta a bmw moa chapter but there are actually very few bmws) gathers. Great food, a lot of knowledgeable riders, no squids (usually) and generally a great crowd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
every tuesday night, 6pm-9pm, at "the abbaye" in northern liberties (3rd and fairmount) the group philadelphiariders.com (sorta a bmw moa chapter but there are actually very few bmws) gathers. Great food, a lot of knowledgeable riders, no squids (usually) and generally a great crowd.
I love that place. I will try to make it next week.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like fun .... wish i was closer, and had a Grom, and was free on Tuesday nights :)
you don't need a grom to go... the rest, well that's on you.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You wouldnt dare take 95 lol

not a good idea... not good to run the bike full throttle for extended periods, not good to be so small and slow around our 80mph drivers, and technically not even legal (150cc minimum iirc)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts