Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I took the Grom out, it started fine and when I put in gear, it died...every time

Well, clutch had a little play, kinda sloppy actually, I never adjusted when I got it a couple days ago, so grabbed pliers and cleaned up the slop in the cable.

Started it, pull in now tighter clutch, put in gear, and it dies again...does it a few times.

Made no sense.

So, I started thinking reset....turn off key, switch....still happens. Do couple variations of same, still happens.

Then say, "screw it" and give it a push while running, put in gear, and then pull in clutch, all works well. Come to stop with clutch in, all is fine.

Basically that fixed it. It just needed some sort of re-set and that did it.

So if you run into a problem where engine dies when you pull clutch in and put into gear, adjust clutch and if it continues, just push bike with engine running, put into gear, then pull in clutch and it's all fixed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine did this the other day, I found that the kick stand did not go up all the way!

Reactions: 69z50

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's the first thing I thought of while I read your post. Don't worry though, many people have been fooled by this by their first newer-model bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a common thing for motorcycles- they have a kill switch attached to the kickstand.
Yup I know. I disconnected the one on the KLR650 I had, going to look into doing it to this one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
45 years with bikes, and this little bstd still catches me out !!!!
Mind you having ridden off with the kicksatand down on one of my earlier bikes...
First left hander...boy was that fun

Dog

·
Registered
218 Posts
yup I was thinking the kickstand switch when I read it, I remember when I forgot to put it up on my cb550, thankfully a dude next to me at the light pointed it out before I got too far

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
this is why i always have a bit of wire in the toolkit. bypass the switch and good to go

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, kickstand totally got me.
I completely forgot bikes do that now.

A prime example of Occam's Razor...LOL

a scientific and philosophic rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Yeah I think almost all of the new bikes since 2007 have the safety kill switch on the kickstand. Why would you want to remove it though?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just got trolled by your GROM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts