Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, why you're in the air box doing the mod of your choice you might as well let it breath a little more. Eliminating the choking paper filter and creating a washable, breathable air filter that never needs replacing.

I went with a Two Stage UNI KTM replacement Part No: NU 1414 ST

1. Start out by cutting out the paper element with an instrument of your choice:

2. Trim about 1/4" off each side of new filter and check fitment. Then glue/seal it in:

3. Oil it up and your ready to RIDE!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually like the convenience of a paper filter element that can be changed, though with the high amount of plastic surrounding our element I feel it might be an overly engineered, wasteful air filter. Have you noticed an increase in power beyond the airbox snorkle mod?
If the modification you refer to is removing the coupling tube from inside the airbox then yes, this air filter made a big difference in throttle response and helped substantially in freeing up the higher revs. I agree with the odd air filter and it is indeed very restrictive. With this mod you never have to replace the airfilter again. Just wash, dry, oil up and install. It's also protected from any/all kinds of weather.
Cheers

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good job. Ideally, you would take the bike out and try top speed with the oem filter followed by the foam filter to see if there was any performance increase. There is a metal frame and wire mesh covering the oem that is missing from the lower photo. Don't you need that to support the filter?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a couple of those filters coming, along with another OEM filter. I'm going to try and make it so you can remove the foam for cleaning. I like McGyvering stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the filter isn't either glued or held into place on all sides, I think it could gap open and let dirt pass by unfiltered. At least with the filter glued into place, that shouldn't happen unless the glue cracks or worse yet cracks, breaks and gets sucked into the cylinder. If you were able to leave the metal framework and mesh in place you might be OK, but I would feel better about a filter and carriage that fit like a glove, where the filter was held into position on all sides before I would go with a foam filter that I could actually remove. A removable foam filter would be my first choice too, but I'll probably wait till somebody makes one that is designed for the Grom, especially with the oem filter only $9.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Considering those four tabs, couldn't you just fab a "cage" to hold in place with like some type of chicken wire or small gauge wire screen/fencing?

That would prevent "sucking in" as well as actually allow full removal for cleaning.

New one may be only $9, but air is power.
Increased breathing is more power, so if you can fab a better breathing foam filter, why not?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Probably could make something that way and the oem filter already has a wire carriage and something like chicken wire on one side of the filter plus it is glued on all sides as well. Of course, it's disposable. I just cleaned my Vespa foam air filter today. It fits like a glove around assorted notches and there are plastic pins on both sides of the housing holding the filter in place firmly to assure nothing moves. The filter is actually a bit oversized so it is already under some pressure along all the margins and of course, that is where you make sure you have oiled the filter well too. Good thing. On nearly every filter I've seen including this one, the dirt seems to accumulate up in one corner of the filter rather than evenly distributed with some parts of the filter looking pristine and other parts with goo and chunks of grass, hair, and dirt. I think the air goes through the area of least resistance mostly. You wouldn't want the filter to gap at that area for sure. I am not too sure about foam being better than paper though. They use paper in lots of high performance race bikes including GSXR1000 and RSV4s among many others. They must breathe just fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What model KTM?
I have a connection with Twin Air, so I'd prefer to use a Twin Air filter than a UNI
KTM 50

All excellent ideas, the "Seal-All" is a very strong MEK adhesive/sealant and the foam is glued in on all sides as seen in the last pic. You can wash and clean the foam glued into the plastic housing without issue. The chicken wire idea would work but you would still need to adhere and seal the foam filter and the wire would need to be removed for filter cleaning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grommer2 I assure you this paper filter is more restrictive than a foam replacement. Truth be told in the acceleration.

·
Registered
327 Posts
KTM 50

All excellent ideas, the "Seal-All" is a very strong MEK adhesive/sealant and the foam is glued in on all sides as seen in the last pic. You can wash and clean the foam glued into the plastic housing without issue. The chicken wire idea would work but you would still need to adhere and seal the foam filter and the wire would need to be removed for filter cleaning.
Cleaning is the reason I was going to try for a removable foam filter. How do you get rid of excess oil after re oiling?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
notice any difference after doing this?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did the mod to my extra air filter last night. I don't think I'm going to glue it in for the moment. It's a pretty tight fit. If it falls out,it's not going anywhere but in the bottom of the air cleaner cover. I don't think that would be an emergency.

·
Registered
123 Posts
notice any difference after doing this?
I think the air box is a restriction...even with NO filter in there at all, it didnt improve any really.

I noticed a big difference with the open TB and the KN filter right on the TB is just like open TB.

I assume its the fact that its funneling air through a 1 inch tube rather than all directions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening.
I bought a UNI filter, but my mechanic says that it is dangerous to mount it because I have to disconnect a wire, is this normal?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I believe all after market filter only product noise which make you seem to think you have more power.

Best result testing of after market, home made filter is to dyno your Grom with stock filter then run the dyno again with your new modified filter to see the HP gains

youtube test of air filter test on dyno
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI]Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good evening.
I bought a UNI filter, but my mechanic says that it is dangerous to mount it because I have to disconnect a wire, is this normal?
I installed the K&N, I re-installed the temp sensor into the rubber part of the K&N. You should be able to do the same thing with the UNI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts