Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So etc. etc. etc... New to forum and Groms in general, everyone can tell me I'm an idiot... K got it! Been building bikes, motors, homes, motorhomes for 34 years! I just bought a 2018 Grom for my niece who has no interest in it so I was going to do a CBR 300RR motor swap on it to make it interesting for me but that bike got stolen. And now I have a stock 125cc engine with a Yoshi pipe and Chimera intake. Still deciding on fuel management. My only want out of this small engine is to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway if I take it to the Beach this Summer or to visit friends either way requires the highway. I did enough research and I'm a decent engine builder/bike mechanic. So I figured there's a reason for each but literally gearing isn't going to work, a power commander isn't going to work, that pipe and intake isn't going to add much if anything? I'm talking about a longer trip at about 65-70 mph for half a day on the highway? Should I just scrap the whole idea? Putting even $1500 into a 125cc engine that was designed to be a 50cc just doesn't seem worth it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So etc. etc. etc... New to forum and Groms in general, everyone can tell me I'm an idiot... K got it! Been building bikes, motors, homes, motorhomes for 34 years! I just bought a 2018 Grom for my niece who has no interest in it so I was going to do a CBR 300RR motor swap on it to make it interesting for me but that bike got stolen. And now I have a stock 125cc engine with a Yoshi pipe and Chimera intake. Still deciding on fuel management. My only want out of this small engine is to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway if I take it to the Beach this Summer or to visit friends either way requires the highway. I did enough research and I'm a decent engine builder/bike mechanic. So I figured there's a reason for each but literally gearing isn't going to work, a power commander isn't going to work, that pipe and intake isn't going to add much if anything? I'm talking about a longer trip at about 65-70 mph for half a day on the highway? Should I just scrap the whole idea? Putting even $1500 into a 125cc engine that was designed to be a 50cc just doesn't seem worth it?
BR3..., I think you already know the answer! These are little bikes that are great fun to play around the neighborhood or out in the dirt. You have both engine size and wheel size going against your wish to have a highway speed "motorcycle". It would be a challenge to set up your sprockets to meet the speeds/ have enough torque to pull those gears for "half a day". I rode a Goldwing for the highway trips and the Grom for the little "fun" rides. Have fun with whatever you choose to do!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts