Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 1971 Honda SL-125 motorcycle and I have run that motorcycle out in the desert of Mohave Valley Arizona with no problem hitting 70mph. This motorcycle is 6v system, the front lights are useless so is the brakes but the dam motor runs like a charm till this day. Yep the original miles are what you see on it. It also has points and a kick start.
I assume the engine for the grom was taken from this concept and upgraded and heads moved forward.
Yep 125cc live on and are bullet proof.

kick start

mileage as of now

Picked it up in Mohave Valley Arizona when I got my divorce at my second house which the EX got. Honda was left out in the elements and that is why I'm restoring it, it was in good condition before the divorce.

working on the battery and wiring system

Looked a lot better before the Ex-wife and her boyfriend got a hold of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hate to say this, but that engine is often called a "stand up" engine. Meaning the engine is running vertically. The grom is a "lay-down" style engine, meaning it runs horizontally. The engine in your SL is a closer cousin to xr/crf80 and 100's. Totally different bottom ends and top ends.

Cool bike though, love old Honda's I own several myself.

On second though, it looks kinda like my atc110/185 engines, probably closer cousins to them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to say this, but that engine is often called a "stand up" engine. Meaning the engine is running vertically. The grom is a "lay-down" style engine, meaning it runs horizontally. The engine in your SL is a closer cousin to xr/crf80 and 100's. Totally different bottom ends and top ends.

Cool bike though, love old Honda's I own several myself.

On second though, it looks kinda like my atc110/185 engines, probably closer cousins to them.
Thanks for the heads up on the info, rode an old Honda 90 in Hawaii from the town of Hilo out to Black Sand beach, what a hoot, we had no license and we were two up riding with another friend on a Honda 305 that looked like this one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39VASx4lq6w]1966 Honda Dream 305 CA77 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anybody that's got an ol' 305 like that an is riding it regularly must have some cash. Those things are damm near impossible to get parts for.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Love that 305.

But yes, the Grom engine actually takes after the ATC lay-down motors. Hence the 4 speed, though it's been fitted with a manual clutch. Probably why Honda can afford to sell them so cheaply, because 99% of that design has already been long paid for, so R&D costs were relatively low. Of course, we'd all like another gear or two, but this all comes back down to what we paid for our Groms.

And for the hot-rodders, I know what these motors can do. My ATC90 has the whole catalog on it (and was out to 138cc) and that thing hauls ass. Power wheelies in 1st and 2nd, no problem. Now imagine that with a manual clutch and two wheels!

·
Registered
114 Posts
This 125 started life as a 49cc motor in the old Z50's and the like (even before they imported them back in 68).

There's an SL70 that uses the same concept... so does the CT70 and the CT90.

couple of my friend's custom vintage bike with the same base motor.

This CT70/DAX is punched up to a 117, and it's plenty fast.
1977 Honda CT70 Dax - Pipeburn - Purveyors of Classic Motorcycles, Cafe Racers & Custom motorbikes

One of my favorite..
Honda Z50A - 50 Magnum - Pipeburn - Purveyors of Classic Motorcycles, Cafe Racers & Custom motorbikes

and this awesome custom SL70
Picture 26 of 35 from davmo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts