Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post all the aftermarket shock absorbers you find for the Honda Grom in this thread.

To start here's one from YSS Racing:

Honda Grom/MSX125 YSS Shock Absorber

Length: 245mm
Price: €85.00

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you are tempted to get an Ohlins rear shock, please beware of fakes out there. We have been working closely with Ohlins on the development (we did the track testing etc) and make components for Ohlins. There are a lot of fake Ohlins and the differences are slight in appearance. However, it took about four bounces on the Ohlins shock dyno for the fake to explode. Obviously dangerous so be careful. Feel free to pm me with questions.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you are tempted to get an Ohlins rear shock, please beware of fakes out there. We have been working closely with Ohlins on the development (we did the track testing etc) and make components for Ohlins. There are a lot of fake Ohlins and the differences are slight in appearance. However, it took about four bounces on the Ohlins shock dyno for the fake to explode. Obviously dangerous so be careful. Feel free to pm me with questions.
Wow, exploding shocks are definitely the LAST thing we will want to experience. Was their a video of demonstration of this being done? would like to see it for myself as everyone else viewing this thread would.

If you don't mind, since you seem to know the Ohlins rear shock very well and it's knock off, can you post how to identify the knock off (in a new thread, a new thread dedicated to this would be awesome) , it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am sworn to secrecy by Ohlins because if we point out the differences the guys making the knock offs will change them to make identification harder. Like I say, the best way is to buy from a reputable dealer only.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am sworn to secrecy by Ohlins because if we point out the differences the guys making the knock offs will change them to make identification harder. Like I say, the best way is to buy from a reputable dealer only.

Fair enough, it would have been helpful to see those differences. Buying used will be something to think twice about unless a receipt from reputable is provided with it I guess.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the warning. This could potentially be fatal especially when riding a bike. These guys doing knockoffs shouldn't be making equipment that has the ability to be dangerous to use.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warning. This could potentially be fatal especially when riding a bike. These guys doing knockoffs shouldn't be making equipment that has the ability to be dangerous to use.
Yup, staying away from knockoff's is worth it if you can afford it, even when it comes to cars. I've seen knock off wheels have barrel come apart from the spokes, scary stuff to deal with.

Would hate to experience that exploding spring

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I hear the stock shocks are junk

Reactions: jthspace

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
They are fine for the average rider but if you are heavy or if you plan to put the shocks through alot it would be worth it to upgrade to something else. The trick is finding out which shock and what kind of settings and spring rates would work for your style of riding and your weight.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I am familiar with Ohlins but haven't heard of the other brands. Which one is the better damper for the Honda grom.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
They are fine for the average rider but if you are heavy or if you plan to put the shocks through alot it would be worth it to upgrade to something else. The trick is finding out which shock and what kind of settings and spring rates would work for your style of riding and your weight.
It also depends on the state of your roads, in the UK as part of the national austerity drive ( read: excuse not to spend tax monies), our roads are not being repaired and we have lots of potholes and uneven surfaces. An adjustable shock would mean we could soften the ride just a little. The stock shock is "firm to hard" and I would assume it is the same shock whichever market they sell it in.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That is true. I wish all roads everywhere were like Japan. Smooth as silk. Potholes really suck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to see that suspension parts are going to be available right away... one of the things I almost always upgrade on my bikes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
considering the low retail cost of the bike i would have to think suspension would be one of the areas honda saved a few dollars. rear shock upgrade and even some heavier springs and oil in the front probably wouldnt be a bad idea for.... heavier, riders

·
Registered
327 Posts
All good ideas, and probably worth the money. I'm 215. Of course it would be cheaper, if I just got thinner. :p

Reactions: mehow
1 - 20 of 47 Posts