Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this would be an interesting topic to bring up.

The GROM is already a pretty cheap motorcycle brand new. How much do you think it will depreciate in the used market by next year? Some of us might be looking at local classifieds to see if we can pick up a slightly used one for cheaper. :GoldGW:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I imagine that until they have a steady stream at dealers you could get closer to 3k all day long.... now in 2 years when they have flooded the market, 2k or sub would be expected.

Think about someone buying it with a loan and paying 100-150 a month.... 12 months they have a payoff of 2400 still (assuming 3600 OTD).... So 2500-3000 would be my guesstimate for classifieds in a year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not much. One of the best all-time bikes because of popularity was the Ninja 250. Now it will be the Ninja 300. You can look at Kelly Bluebook motorcycle values and see how bikes depreciate over the years. Something like an Aprilia Tuono depreciates a lot. The smaller, less expensive bikes depreciate very little as a rule. It will have a market value of $2200 or so in a year. Now if you went to a dealer to sell it, you won't get anything close to that, but selling it on your own, you could do a lot better. Trade in is hard to figure cause they could easily give you nearly $3000 for your Grom on trade-in on an expensive bike because of the markups. The Grom will not depreciate very much compared to other bikes though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
until Kawi, Yamaha and the other makers jump on the band wagon with a mini motorcycle.

Yamaha had the YSR-50 but EPA with their clean air rules killed that motorcycle.

I see Kawaski have great potential if they took their 250cc kawi, updated from carbs to FI and put on some GROM size rims they would kill the GROM in sales, since the Kawi will be 6 speed, have all the proven records and the motorcycle would KILL the GROM right out of the BOX with the 6 speed and HP.

I seen a couple of 2012 Kawi 250 motorcycles that are for sale cheaper than the GROM and with a little engineering I could make it a GROM killer with no problem.

why waste money on the GROM for HP, it's like all these Harley riders/buyers I see who does the first change is cam, pipes, chrome, etc. They pump more money into their motorcycle to make it go fast.

If you want to go fast for cheap get a ZX-1400, ZX10 or a Hayabusa, GSXR-1000. You'll have better brakes, better handling, better everything than a Harley will ever make.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like the GROM will hold its value pretty well..

I mean 2 years of riding you could probably sell it for 2500? And it'll probably stay at that price for a few years.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I keep hoping for a naked Ninja 300. The Ninja 300 is a fantastic bike as is, but it could stand to go on a diet. I would also like to see a Grom-style 250 or 300 bike...naked, 12 or 14-inch tires, no more than 300 lbs. I would grab that up in a minute no matter who made it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
until Kawi, Yamaha and the other makers jump on the band wagon with a mini motorcycle.

Yamaha had the YSR-50 but EPA with their clean air rules killed that motorcycle.

I see Kawaski have great potential if they took their 250cc kawi, updated from carbs to FI and put on some GROM size rims they would kill the GROM in sales, since the Kawi will be 6 speed, have all the proven records and the motorcycle would KILL the GROM right out of the BOX with the 6 speed and HP.

I seen a couple of 2012 Kawi 250 motorcycles that are for sale cheaper than the GROM and with a little engineering I could make it a GROM killer with no problem.

why waste money on the GROM for HP, it's like all these Harley riders/buyers I see who does the first change is cam, pipes, chrome, etc. They pump more money into their motorcycle to make it go fast.

If you want to go fast for cheap get a ZX-1400, ZX10 or a Hayabusa, GSXR-1000. You'll have better brakes, better handling, better everything than a Harley will ever make.
But its about the bike you want. People buy cars that are easily outperformed by other cars just because they want the brand. Now if you wanted a serious street machine the Grom probably isn't the best choice, but its like an ipod compared to a computer. If you want to have ALL of your music get the computer, but if you want to customize and make it yours... get the ipod or something something...

·
Registered
995 Posts
But its about the bike you want. People buy cars that are easily outperformed by other cars just because they want the brand. Now if you wanted a serious street machine the Grom probably isn't the best choice, but its like an ipod compared to a computer. If you want to have ALL of your music get the computer, but if you want to customize and make it yours... get the ipod or something something...
really good way to put it.

with that being said, it is probably best for whoever is buying the grom to get really familiar with the Grom on a forum such as this one, weight out their options, figure out what they REALLY want in a bike....then make the move to get a Grom ...or NOT

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I can't see the grom depreciating that much over time. It doesn;t cost much to begin with. But like Ciscosanhose said. Maybe until the other manufacturers start jumping in to the monkey bike business then is when it will start affecting the groms value.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One very valid reason to mod the Grom for more power... maintaining 60-65mph. Though I can hit 64-65mph stock I can't do that sitting up, into the wind, up a hill on the highway. My goal is to have enough power and speed that I can then maintain 60-65 no matter where and how I'm riding. Then, when I have that power level I'll leave it alone. Though the majority of roads here in Kansas City are 45mph legally, most traffic moves 50-55 all the time. If I can't go 55-60 effortlessly then I fall behind in traffic which is dangerous.

My goal is a sufficient power amount to easily keep up with everyone and hold my own on the road.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One very valid reason to mod the Grom for more power... maintaining 60-65mph. Though I can hit 64-65mph stock I can't do that sitting up, into the wind, up a hill on the highway. My goal is to have enough power and speed that I can then maintain 60-65 no matter where and how I'm riding. Then, when I have that power level I'll leave it alone. Though the majority of roads here in Kansas City are 45mph legally, most traffic moves 50-55 all the time. If I can't go 55-60 effortlessly then I fall behind in traffic which is dangerous.

My goal is a sufficient power amount to easily keep up with everyone and hold my own on the road.
sounds like a valid and logical reason :)

aren't we talking about depreciation though? ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I kinda take a different view. I think depreciation will be along the lines of general motorcycling, taking a pretty steep decline in the first year or two, then slowly depreciate until an upgrade comes along, then it'll be time for a fire sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think they will hold up well, but think of it this way; even if it loses 50% of its new value in 3 years, you've only "lost" $1,500. That's a cheap price to pay for a few years of fun and gas savings!

·
Registered
254 Posts
sounds like a valid and logical reason :)

aren't we talking about depreciation though? ;)
LOL. Must have typed that on the wrong browser tab....

Depreciation will be minimal on the Grom because of the concept of residual value. A vehicle capable of traveling at certain speeds for low cost will have a set residual value and the market price will not depreciate beyond that point. For example, a good running Ninja 250 is worth about 1750 in my area whether it's a 1992 or a 2003.... The Grom is already so cheap I can't imagine it depreciating very far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it depends on how many Honda is able to make and ship here...if they manage to supply all demand the bike will depreciate similar tot he ninja 250 or CB250

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which is not that much. The 250s don't really depreciate that much. Not as much as the more expensive models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts