Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any idea of how may groms are being produced for the US market?

Supplies seem pretty limited in the Northeast area. Dealer allocations seem to be very slim.

Anybody know when production will ramp up so dealers can stock these bikes? Doesn't make much sense as they are near identical to the European/Asian examples. They shouldn't have needed to retool or anything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I thought I heard 300 were released to the US for 2013. Any verification from that anyone? I Imagine they will try to ramp up production for Spring 2014 to allow dealers to get some on the showroom floors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was told Powerhouse Dealers will get up to five units on this initial release, non-Powerhouse Dealers will get a maximum of only three

There may be an additional release of one or two units per dealer come March.

Each town/city will likely have so few, you'd be able to sit all the local Grom owners at a table or two at a Denny's

·
Registered
213 Posts
True, so how many powerhouse dealers are t here in the US? I know Hollister got 5, the only dealer within 90 miles of me got 1, the next closest got 2 (one of which was mine :D ) etc... so Id say 300 probably isnt that far off, maybe up to 500?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The vin. nos indicate many more than 300 out there already.
I have never known VINs to be an accurate representation of production numbers. They represent model, production location, lot, date and which production line.

The Honda way of production, when it comes to motorcycles, is one thing at a time. They set up production of an entire facility to make X model, and then make Y # of units, then tear it all down, retool, re-set up and make the next model.

They do not make additional units, they do not retool the production line for any type of rerun, no matter how many are sold or how fast. The Japanese plan everything several years out and stick to it, even production numbers.

The VIN has been, and still is to my knowledge, a code to the model, the production location, which line it was made on and even the date of production (which is usually just the month). The VIN has never been an indicator of total units produced.

The only units I have ever seen come out of Japan with a "VIN" (frame or engine number) in a sequential order, were hand made one off test units and or factory race bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised that Honda isn't producing units for November/ December. I'd buy one in the winter. Used to ride my Tomos moped in January here in Jersey.

The dealer I spoke to said don't expect anything until next season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts