Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yami claims the Zuma 125 is the perfect way to zoom around the city. I thought that was what the Grom was for:confused: what gives?

BEFORE we get into semantics, I know the Zuma is a scooter. But on the basis of small and cheap city transportation Grom and Zuma are direct competitors..

Why should I Grom instead of Zuma?

·
Registered
105 Posts
No scooter thus far is a competitor with the Grom. Not directly.
Yes mpg, size are similar, but that's where it stops.
I tell my scooter buds my Grom is a 3/4scale crotchrocket. Much like a Kikker is a 3/4 scale chopper, not a scooter.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i know Yamaha has a R125, but it's still more along the lines of a sport bike. It might just be a matter of time till Yamaha, Triumph, etc come out with a direct competitor

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate the look of scooters, and if I was to get a scooter it would be a Vespa.

Perhaps they are comparable in terms of size and function, but I think the Grom customer and the Zuma customer are very different people.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
say no to the Zuma.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Posting this as a comparable vehicle (if you can call it that) is blasphemy! Scooters are a totally different breed. There are some scooters that have fairly powerful engines, but the driving experience is completely different to the point that they are not cross-shopped. People are either looking for a motorbike or a scooter. i don't think someone walks in thinking they will get a bike, and ends up leaving with a scooter instead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posting this as a comparable vehicle (if you can call it that) is blasphemy! Scooters are a totally different breed. There are some scooters that have fairly powerful engines, but the driving experience is completely different to the point that they are not cross-shopped. People are either looking for a motorbike or a scooter. i don't think someone walks in thinking they will get a bike, and ends up leaving with a scooter instead.
I'm looking for city transportation. No shot im peddling a bicycle. The Grom and the Zuma MSRP for similar, both have engines, two wheels, handle bars, brakes and a seat. You can see what I'm getting at.

I havent decided what I'm getting yet, but for motorized transportation on the cheap Grom and Zuma are top of the heap, they just do it in different styles.

I assume they're both going to be hell in the winter, but at least on the Grom i could flat track it, foot out and all....

Just curious really, I'm leaning towards the Grom but the Zuma just crossed my radar...

I guess the other factor involved is the Zuma doesnt have a dedicated following of hooligans like the Grom does :p:p

kidding, love the madness

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you look at a 125 scooter for around-town easy transportation with no need to shift and under-seat storage, then the Zuma is a better ride. People generally look at a bunch of other things though and some people prefer to shift gears. There are a ton of little scooters out there...Sportcity 125, Vespa 150, Buddy, etc. The Zuma is a very nice scooter though. I owned a bunch of scooters...Sportcity 50, Sportcity 125, Scarabeo 100, Vespa 150, Vino 125, Sportcity 250. I now own a Vespa 300 which offers even more...interstate riding in at least the middle lane. LOL. I love scooters too. I didn't get the Zuma cause the platform seemed a little constricted but I see a bunch around including some older ones still going strong. Yes, sometimes motorcycle people and scooter people are different. Not in my case.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are a couple of practical advantages I see of a Grom vs. a Zuma though that may apply. Mileage is perhaps 20 mpg better with the Grom and the maintenance is at least a little easier. One thing that is fun are scooter rallies. The Motorcycle Shop in San Antionio sponsors one or more a year, and there is always one in Austin about this time each year. Grom groups are just now getting started but if you have scooter groups in your area, you might enjoy group rides, although I bet if you showed up on a Grom, they would be happy to see you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My GF and I currently have scooters, her a 2011 Yamaha C3 with 5500 miles, me a 2012 Zuma 50f with 3400 miles. I'm all in for a grom, I'll miss the storage space for sure, it's nice to be able to leave items in there like gloves, rain gear, goggles, tools, items from shopping, and not have to wear a back pack... But I'm fine with changing over... She, however, isn't so sure she wants to give that up, and having to shift and deal with a clutch she is unsure of as well, Plus we are a Yamaha family... 08 Grizzly 700, recently sold 09 FZR waverunner, 2600i yamaha generator... The 2 scooters... So she is torn between the grom so we match and have the same thing and a 125 zuma so she can easily ride it without worry and retain storage space

·
Registered
2 Posts
As we all know, they are both different types of bike. So it all comes down to what you really want. If you want something that is sporty, handles very good, manual transmission, and is not your primary form of transportation, then by all means the Grom. Zuma 125 are more ideal for those who are commuting daily with it, who needs to be able to comfortably seat a 2nd rider, to be able to store groceries, beer, and a baby/puppy in the storage compartment... the Zuma 125 is the better choice for all of this. We have worked on both bikes and raced them against each other; I think if you could, buy both!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the input everyone really appreciate it. The Grom of the Zuma would be my primary form of transportation. I live downtown toronto, i have groceries and things like that within a rock throw from my place so im not worried about stuff like that. I dont mind shifting and clutching, in fact i would prefer it.

I'm just looking for something thats good A to B yet not still has a pulse. For that reason I am leaning more towards the grom. Plus i really love the community and all the interesting things that come along with motorcycle culture, especially on a bike as customizabe as the grom.

I dont think the Zuma is as tinkering friendly as the Grom. I used to fiddle with all my cars back east so its definitely something i want to try with the Grom.

I'll be cooler on a grom right ;) LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although you state your theory as fact, it just isn't so. I went in on Tuesday to test ride a Grom but there were none. So I tested a Yamaha Zuma and a CBR250R. Both nice. I'm buying the scooter today.

So there ya go!

- John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts