Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 5 minutes from the city and 5 minutes from the country. Most roads in the country part are 45-55 mph though. How can i make a grom not hate its life cruising 60? Im thinking 180cc bore and some different sprockets would do this bike justice. any input?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's ok to have more than one bike! ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Im 5 minutes from the city and 5 minutes from the country. Most roads in the country part are 45-55 mph though. How can i make a grom not hate its life cruising 60? Im thinking 180cc bore and some different sprockets would do this bike justice. any input?
you could make it work if you wanted to.

180cc bore and sprockets seem like a good start.

Reactions: dgtracy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will let you know as soon as I figure it out! ;)

I use to have a drz110 that I roadraced. I don't think stability will be a huge issue, but won't know for sure until I ride it first hand. I want to see what the bike is capable of with sprockets right out of the box, then start tweaking. The end goal for me is a 80 to 85mph capable bike that does 60 to 65 comfortably.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I'd have to say sprockets and a bore would be a good solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you guys think about a turbocharger to solve the issue?
I have seen that question posed many times before on various sites, but the problem has always been the small displacement of the engines... Basically, getting a turbo that is small enough to spool, but large enough to make power is a pretty big hurdle. Then getting it to work correctly, run, and make gobs of power... Someone may have done it, but it would take FAR more talent than I possess.

I would love to see an aftermarket kit that actually worked. I would be a buyer if priced right.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
dont know how reliable that will be. And it'll cost so much.

I think a bore kit and sprockets should do the job.

How often will you really be riding on the highway? And how long will you be on the highway for ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Up to 70 km per hour is quite a comfortable ride. 71-90 is not very much. 91-113 km per hour scary!! Strong wind resistance. Blows away the road

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have seen that question posed many times before on various sites, but the problem has always been the small displacement of the engines... Basically, getting a turbo that is small enough to spool, but large enough to make power is a pretty big hurdle. Then getting it to work correctly, run, and make gobs of power... Someone may have done it, but it would take FAR more talent than I possess.

I would love to see an aftermarket kit that actually worked. I would be a buyer if priced right.
That was another one of my suggestions to make the grom perform higher speeds but at these early stages these first turbo kits are a hit or a miss. I'd say mostly a miss. it will take a while to get everything to run right maybe even a sacrifice of a motor to make everything perfect.

The best thing I could suggest is sprockets +1 / -2 maybe would make the grom a bit peppier for the freeway rides. honestly i think it's best to just have two bikes.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I can't find the link/pics but there are several company's working on lateral and rotary steering dampers. That would definitely be the best place to start to increase stability, IMO...
I think ohlins and scotts are rigging something up for the grom.

Good add on for stability at higher speeds or in the case the highest speed the grom can go. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.