Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my license plate stolen. When I got on the phone with the police, the dispatcher asked for the plate number. I thought it was a stupid question since I was calling to report it stolen but she reminded me that it was printed on the registration. So I opened the seat, which I find to be difficult to do, only to notice that the little ziplock baggie with the manual, registration, inspection, etc. is missing. Now, thinking back, I think it's possible that it wasn't locked when I started. I don't know about everyone else's, but the back of the seat on my Grom doesn't quite come down to contact the body so if you don't pay too much attention I can see how I might not have noticed. But considering that I haven't removed the seat since I put the registration papers in it, and I know I locked it then, I have to assume that they picked the lock to get to the papers. So I have to ask, how easy is it to do that? And if you could pick that lock, since it's the same key as the ignition, why not steal the whole thing? And what good is that stuff to a thief anyway?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Registration papers have the bikes address, if you keep it at your home. Now they can steal it at a later date.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
picking the lock is a pain in the ass, and a dying skill. much easier to deform the seat out or pull the undertail down or something.
my bet is on the seat being unlocked

·
Registered
998 Posts
just reach under the back section of the grom seat and pull up and towards the rear, you might have to do a pull up, push down a couple of time and the seat will pop loose. I assume you have to be strong also and your pulling towards the back of the seat, meaning putting force towards the back or at a angle towards the back so the seat pin clears the locking latch metal. If the thief wants it they will figure out a way to break the locking mechanical system.

want to slow down a thief of you license plate, drill a hole through your bolt and run a safety wire through the hole. You can also put a combo of wing nut and stardard nut and lock nuts on the license hold down bolt and add red loc-tight to the thread. It will only slow them down.

best protection I found for all my motorcycle is to bag it with a motorcycle bag and have a stencil of a shape of a pistol and a stencil beneath the pistol stencil which reads INSURED BY HOME LAND DEFENSE 45cal and wireless Alarm system

1 - 4 of 4 Posts