Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that there are about 2,000 Groms in the US right now. So if you have one, you are lucky. Anyone know how often the shipments happen? Is this a really limited release or something?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
i think they're so busy making them for asian markets that they haven't had time to print enough for the US market. Also, honda may not have yet realized how crazy the demand is here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My understanding, Honda is only producing 3000 units for the US

The way Honda and most all of the Japanese manufacturers work is, they plan a couple years out, and that includes production numbers. The way production works is, they tool a line to make one model, do one single run for that model, whatever the number of units is, and that's it! No more. They re-tool the line for another model and do the same again.
They do not go back and re-tool and re-do another model a second time. If they sell out, they sell out, and in their mind, they see it as meeting their sales goal. They will make the next year's production units before going back and re-doing the same year's.
You can bet your last dollar that every unit to be made, has been made, and is either in transit or in storage for later release. It's common for them to release a significant portion of the production at the beginning of the model year, and a smaller release later in the year. Japanese car makers are almost the same way. They never flood the market with everything at once, they trickle units out to keep the public wanting.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the market is not that big for a motorcycle like this. so 2000 is actually alot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does that mean dealers won't run out and have long wait times for those who are still wanting to buy one?
No, it means the manufacturer will likely meet planning and predetermined expectations.

They do not see a lack of inventory as a failure, they see it as proper planning and execution, having zero excess units requiring markdown.

Better to create demand and have customers wanting than to have more units than you know what to do with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts