Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't get the video to play, maybe its just my computer acting up again. But anyway that's good news.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't get the video to play, maybe its just my computer acting up again. But anyway that's good news.
try deleting your cookies or refreshing your browser.

Thanks to the OP for posting up the video. this should be stickied for everybody to see later that are interested in making the change.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, got it to play good little how to vid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill wait until K&N releases their official drop in filter for the airbox I think.

Not trying to be negative but that wont improve flow, performance, or sound.

I tried running an open airbox, no filter at all and it was no better than having a filter in there, probably because it still has to funnel through a 1 inch tube.

Running this is just like open TB, a lot better sound and performance everywhere but with protection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it helped all around, sound is a lot better, low end and mid range much improved. Seems to pull into the rev limiter much easier.

Top speed seems increased slightly but hard to gauge with how much the top end tends to change depending on wind and stuff.

With a 13t sprocket and this KN I can cruise at over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ty for your post, im going to buy the -2 sprocket and this air filter, can anybody point out some stainless steel lines?

my grom stopps horrrrribly

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just setup the K&N filter 2 yesterday on my bike and :

*Regarding performance, nice increase i gained about 1000 rpm for all the gears (except 4th) basically you reach 9.5k rpm w/o problem, i can push the 3rd gear up to 94km/h (and maybe even more)

The top sped is not really increased, the 4th gear still sucks, i reached like 112 km/h down a bridge (no real hill there in Bangkok), i think that if i pushed it very hard i could reach around 120 kmh, so its not better than with the stock filter.

*However (and its not a small one) the noise is simply horrible, i cant hear the engine / exhaust after 6k rpm it became so fu*** loud its unbelievable.

How about the other guys who installed the filter, do you have the same thing about the noise ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Small correction :

I don't reach 9.5k rpm but something between 9.0 and 9.5k, regarding the noise, it became very hard starting from 7k rpm.

Any comments from other owners ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have my grom apart right now..removed entire air box,,re mounted the iat sensor with a mini k&n filter i had laying around..

Pretty much my plans are to combine the air ram mod and this mod togther,,however to make that work I need to turn my throttle body 180 so that aircleaner is on other side of the bike.Alot more room over there,,looks to be plenty of throttle cable with out bind issuesLlooks as if this would tuck the air cleaner up behind fairing and have nice cool air to it with some holes drilled into it such as in the ram air mod. will see how it turns out or even works at all.Waiting for intake gasget to come in before i try it. I will post up a new thread when its done or dont work ha ha

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did a small K&N, pulled the tube out of the air box, removed the air box, use the insert that inside the airbox to attach the filter and the clamp. I drilled the top of the K&N to put the sensor.

WOrks great... unless it rains. Then it runs like crap. Sucks in all of the water from the front tire. Might be going back to the stock air box. I did see about a 1 MPH difference on the top end, but that might be because the wind was blowing less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All right i understand now !

At the beggining i was scared of the K&N and the rain, finally it is very well protected on the right side and last time we had almost 24hrs non stop raining in Bangkok, the bike was parked outside,it started like a charm and no performance drop was noticed, the filter was slightly damp (the first 5mm which are uncovered)

I'll post a video of a riding grom + K&N in bangkok in a couple of minutes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts