Honda Grom Forums banner

how to recover lost key

29K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Scott Anderson 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum this will be my first post. I've done tons of searches and research in this subject and have not found much rock solid advice.

Recently I lost my key for my Grom and now I can not even find my spare. I do not have the code. I bought the bike with about 600 miles so I only have what the previous owner gave me. I have called dealers who all try to upsell me on a full lock set but I'm pretty sure I can get a locksmith to get me a key for much less. Ive heard these bikes have the code on the lock switch and should be a 3 digit code starting with a letter and then 2 numbers. Any truth to this?

Also I have heard the original dealer usually has the key code on file but this was not the case when I called the original dealer. What makes it even tougher is this dealer is about 2 hours from me.

Anybody else been through this and cab offer any advice on what route to go? I've gotten quotes from locksmiths ranging from $27-300 which is a pretty dramatic range.

#2 ·
it would take a lot of knowledge to get a key to match from a locksmith... toss your whole house, garage etc and find that spare!

#3 ·
Oh I have. It has been missing for months. I recently remodels my room tearing out all carpet and furniture and have not found anything. I'm at wits end here. Maybe I'm better off getting a lockset but I can't imagine that being any easy task to replace

#4 ·
the hardest part will be getting the tank lock off as well as getting the seat off without breaking anything. everything else is not too bad.

#5 ·
my key code is several numbers...
to be exact 8 numbers, no letters... on 2014 Grom

key code "may" be on the ignition lock. and Honda may actually have a way to cut from code... 'maybe' at some locations .
an "In person" visit to local dealer with:
vin number, title, photo ID and $50 bill in hand might help .
They have rules about not cutting keys on demand for just anyone...to cut down on theft.. especially phoned in requests for keys from 'vin'...no way.

my key code is absolutely
on a small bare aluminum metal tag appx 1"x0.25" or about the width of a key blade and half the length of exposed metal portion of key blade...with a square hole in one end.

sometimes these code tags are in with the vehicle paperwork stapled or taped to ' page in book' or loose in a plastic bag/envelope somewhere in the {dealer/customer packet}.

My aluminum key code tab was on the keys ring with keys when I bought the bike.

'Some locksmiths' have a tool that reads the key code from the lock itself.. through insertion..
I have seen it done in Salt Lake UTAH...
The Freightliner Semi Trucks dealer knew a local locksmith who had the tool and could do this.
""not a cheap tool and not everyone has it""

OR, YOU COULD HAVE THE KEYSWITCH RE-KEYED TO TAKE BLANK UN-CUT KEYS "ONLY".....

"or use a randomly cut key cut to your own code and make several alike" if you do this... I suggest one or maybe two notches near tip which keeps key strong and still provides coding and spring retention of key..

re-keying to 'blank+uncut' would cure current concern and... if this lost key or broken/bent key concern ever happens again it will be "no big deal"... because any uncut blank will fit but 'no' cut key will turn the lock.

uncut key solution 'may' also allow key to come out with lock in any position..and go safely into pocket where it is less likely to get lost or allow entire keys ring to scratch bike and also this keys in pocket prevents keys cuttng holes in rider's face in event of rough road or unexpected impact of face on control panel.....
Yes, really, it can happen.

Quit fretting and deal with this 'little problem' before lot rot sets in and ruins your bike.

Replacement blank keys are now available. I bought one recently. Un-cut keys also resist bending more than cut keys... yes, I have done this before ...with a house door locks and vehicle keys.

#13 ·
Locksmith can disable the setup.Insert key into the ignition.Turn the key to "On," leave it there for 10 minutes and 30 seconds and then cycle it back "Off."Repeat the previous step two more times, ending in the "Off" position after the third cycle.Enter the programming sequence with the key erased.Remove the key from the ignition without turning the car on. This will close the programming sequence and leave the key disabled.

#14 ·
I would advise you to call an experienced technician to replace your keys. If you are in Houston area, I can even recommend Get Locksmith that from my own experience provides the best locksmith services. Whenever I needed their help, they arrived on site in 20 minutes and did not charge me extra. All their rates are fixed. Hope I helped you, here is the link of their website. You can find all the information there.

https://www.get-locksmith.com/houston/get-locksmith-houston-services/houston-automotive-locksmith/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.