Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but being an older (55) and still alive rider, first you're lucky you missed a tree since you wouldn't be here to talk about it, and second IMO a Grom is not anywhere near designed to be ridden they way you were especially on a PUBLIC road.

We've all done dumb things on two wheels and luckily you survived one. All I can say is I hope you've learned something from what happened. Hopefully.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Honda Grom crash at Deals Gap - YouTube

It was a good day till I went cliff diving on the grom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
first thank God you are ok and had good riding gear.

Second that is the way I'm riding my Grom.

Three were the tires you using the Grom Stock tires and if so what tire pressure did you have in it before you decided to go cliff diving.

Hope you had sliders on the Grom

to me it looks like some kinda of tire failure because your lines looked good unless you hit sand, tar snake or a damp spot in the road.

Hey ride safe in the future we had one dead Marine in Southern Calif
Motorcyclist dies in Palomar Mountain crash | UTSanDiego.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread: Michelin pilot pure tires so not stock.

I can only speculate of course but since that was a left hander, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you levered off the kickstand after the peg folded back a bit. It looks like the rear just lets go.

The kickstand triangle hoop thing to make it easier to pull down sticks out darn close to the peg position when leaned all the way over. Once I get rearsets I'll probably need to grind mine off. Does it sound like a plausible theory?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As mentioned in the other thread: Michelin pilot pure tires so not stock.

I can only speculate of course but since that was a left hander, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you levered off the kickstand after the peg folded back a bit. It looks like the rear just lets go.

The kickstand triangle hoop thing to make it easier to pull down sticks out darn close to the peg position when leaned all the way over. Once I get rearsets I'll probably need to grind mine off. Does it sound like a plausible theory?
A buddy that was riding behind me swears that I hit the kickstand earlier that day so that does sound reasonable.

As for the guy above saying slmething about frame slider, no fairings got harmed or even a scratch on them.

This thing was built to get thrashed lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad you're OK man, that must have shook you up quite a bit. Leathers with armor aren't a fix all, but they clearly made a huge difference in this case and it was a good thing you were wearing them.

On the bright side, tweaked the front forks? I think we have our first fork swap candidate!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I was also wondering if the rear shocks were replaced or is it stock since the rear could have bottomed out and such.

So was the front tubes modified also or was the Grom suspension Stock for the front and rear, this way other riders can decide if they want to beef up their suspensions for riding roads such as dealers gap.

I weight 205 lbs and was wondering what was the riders weight? I want to get all my suspension work done and dialed in before I do our hwy 9 roads and Santa Cruz back roads in Northern Calif.

Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bikes all stock minus the tires/blinkers/FE that where modified from a local shop around here http://www.sportbikelites.com.

As for the rear bottoming out around that turn, doubt it as that turn was one of the less aggressive turns out of the 318. I'm also 250lbs and would have loved a upgraded shock and forks as I did have some issues around a few things going down the hill. It was never a big issue, but in some of the turns it would have for sure been less sketchy if I had upgraded those for sure.

Also thanks again for all the glad I'm oks and please guys, I can't stress enough to wear good gear if you plan on riding a road like this. Even if you're just casually cruising, you never know what could happen or if a trike is coming into your lane around a blind corner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just want to echo the fact that first and foremost were glad your ok. Either way you sure are riding very well minus the mishap!

Stay safe mate!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad you're okay dude. The only thing I could think was "Oh shit, there he goes!"

Also happy the bike's okay, lol. Good thing to know these things are tanks, because I plan on thrashing mine in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
just watched the vid, not huge on all your left of center excursions...
but glad you're alright and the bike is fine

Reactions: gpd211 and MrGrody

·
Registered
995 Posts
This should go to show all the squids how using the proper gear can pay for it's self with this, thankfully it didn't end any worse than it did.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but being an older (55) and still alive rider, first you're lucky you missed a tree since you wouldn't be here to talk about it, and second IMO a Grom is not anywhere near designed to be ridden they way you were especially on a PUBLIC road.

We've all done dumb things on two wheels and luckily you survived one. All I can say is I hope you've learned something from what happened. Hopefully.
I was just about to say, he is so luck with the trees. I have been down there quite a few times and usually people get really lucky.

Glad your safe and sound. My gut went north when you buddy stopped an said you alright?! and no response.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts