Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assure you this won't let you make any more power at all. The only change this is going to do is give you a louder exhaust note. I have seen some people talking about it and thought I'd go through the process myself. I wanted to hear what the shortened stock muffler sounds like so when I get an exhaust I can compare the two.

While going through the process I took plenty of pictures. If you have any questions, you know what to do...

Honda Grom - Shortened Stock Muffler Tutorial - YouTube

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, the sound check video is live and I have about 350mi of riding on this mod so far. The first 20-40 miles it felt like I lost power. Some, but not much. After that the computer started to adapt and throttle response and power returned fully by 50mi. I could have reset the ECU manually, but it then still takes another 50mi to relearn how my modded bike runs vs a stock one so either way, just cut it and let it learn.

Gas mileage remains unchanged at roughly 90-95mpg for me. Windier weeks leave me in the very upper 80s still but this is the same as before. The sound is quiet enough you can still stand next to your bike while it idles and have a conversation with someone. No yelling required. At full throttle it is much louder, but not so much that it would annoy anyone at all. Really this mod is just a free way to add some extra sound that is enjoyed primarily by you, the rider.

Nobody else has to suffer, no power is lost nor gained, and it costs nothing. The only thing you have to lose here is really the time it takes to cut it down which, if you don't have proper tools, could take awhile. If you have access to a plasma cutter this is about a 20 minute modification. If you have to use a recipricating saw (sawzall) then this will take about 30 minutes. If you have a dremel... well set aside a couple of hours to make sure you cut everything cleanly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.