Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to build my own extension for the stock swing arm. Im usually the type to use what is already existing and modify it to suit my needs. I designed this kit to be a 5" extension which could also be modified to be shorter in length if one chose that route. The 1"x2" extension tube is stock wall thickness with an inner sleeve that is rosette welded in place. On the outside has a fish plate to strengthen it up even more for the added leverage. I designed a new lower shock mount but once I was able to test out the drop amounts, I realized it drops the bike a little too much, so that is going to be re-designed. I do plan on selling these as a DIY kit so I designed the entire kit to pretty much be user friendly even down to the template plate used to scribe and cut off the rear of the swingarm to mate up to the extended piece. Here is what I have so far. Let me hear some inputs, good or bad, be easy though....... haha

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
good stuff. what are your thoughts on the strength of this vs a one piece swingarm?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
good stuff. what are your thoughts on the strength of this vs a one piece swingarm?
if the welds are good, and the extension is of equal or greater quality of steel than the rest of the swingarm, i don't see why not?

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is my first time seeing an extended swing arm on the Grom, i think it looks amazing! How does your Grom handle with the extended swing arm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far its all just been mock up. I have not had a chance to do any riding on it being that the caliper locating tab needs to be welded in place. I used good quality steel and I know the welds wont break. I imagine its going to be just as strong as the OEM swing arm especially with the sleeve inside of the tube. Once I put some miles on it I will be able to give better and more positive answers. Im also redesigning the lower shock mount to allow more clearance between the mount and the shock body. From what I know and have seen, this might be the first extended stock swing arm.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
i did see a bolton extender, but yes, i think this is the first fabbed one

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Nice job. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
So far its all just been mock up. I have not had a chance to do any riding on it being that the caliper locating tab needs to be welded in place. I used good quality steel and I know the welds wont break. I imagine its going to be just as strong as the OEM swing arm especially with the sleeve inside of the tube. Once I put some miles on it I will be able to give better and more positive answers. Im also redesigning the lower shock mount to allow more clearance between the mount and the shock body. From what I know and have seen, this might be the first extended stock swing arm.
good to hear

will you be offering this service for other GROMs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good to hear

will you be offering this service for other GROMs?
As of right now, no....... Between building and designing ruckus parts and doing some stuff for the Grom, ive got pretty limited time. Most of the parts that ive made for the ruckus are more for the people who like to get their hands dirty and fabricate on their bike themselves. Or get someone who is willing and able, do it for them. LOL. But in all honesty, its a DIY kit for someone to tackle on their own. Ive been told by a few people that it looks over engineered in strength. I really dont think it is. I had to design it in a way that if your average guy decided to do this on their own, wheather or not it would be strong enough by the time they got done welding it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welded up the adjustable lower shock mount, threw a quick couple coats of paint on it and installed it on the bike for some testing. Ive put about 200 miles on it so far and all is good still.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts