Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial review for the first 20km

please note some of these will change once the bike is broken in a bit more and the more I get comfortable with the bike

cons
front forks are soft
high clutch grab point
low pegs (I already scraped the feelers)
very little engine braking
turn signal and horn (completely opposite of any bike I ridden and own. I keep hitting the horn with I want to signal for the first bit)

pro
very easy bike to ride
high Stoppies and high Wheelies are very easy on this thing
easy to shift gears and smooth tranny. (hard to find N at a stop. roll a bit to make it easier)
very quiet and pretty smooth for a 1 cylinder machine
seat seemed comfortable for the amount of seat time I had on it
steering is light and quick
tires seems to stick well at 17C on a sunny afternoon. (would like to hear some feedback on stock tire vs Michelins)
very light weight

Neutral
brakes - at first I thought they were very good but the more they brake in. The better they feel

This bike to me has decent power. Its not ground breaking but it holds up well in city traffic. Its full throttle or no throttle is the way I ride part throttle is I want to maintain a speed in traffic. My accelerations are hard. It can accelerate up steep hills. I haven't had a chance to take it on the freeway to test top speed. But I had it up to 90km/h and it seemed to still be able to accelerate in full head up riding

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Where abouts are you in Canada? Lets see some pics of you and the Bike :)

Stew
I am in Edmonton Alberta Canada

I have pics on my phone. Will upload them when I get a chance

My dealer only got black in. I got a pic with it showing 0km on the odometer

·
Registered
995 Posts
Welcome,
Im actually surprised you didn't complain about the mirrors as a lot of us do. Unless you forgot to mention it.

How much was it out the door?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome,
Im actually surprised you didn't complain about the mirrors as a lot of us do. Unless you forgot to mention it.

How much was it out the door?

Actually the mirrors are crap. I think I talked about it in my post in the regional forums.

All you see is your shoulders and they move on the slightest touch

$3720 CAD out the door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea for real thanks for the write up on your first 20k Grom-ing... Anyone know if the Groms are trickling into Toronto yet? I called the dealer last week to see if they even had a display for me to go check out, they said would give a call back when...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

I put some pictures up in my photo album on this site

I changed the plastic already from black to white

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crap i preordered a black and all Red Deer got was red… No other dealers had any black to swap so I took red instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crap i preordered a black and all Red Deer got was red… No other dealers had any black to swap so I took red instead.

Awesome and enjoy the grom. It's really fun to ride but cold Alberta weather
I pre ordered a red but my dealer only had black. But i changed all the plastic to oem white

·
Registered
233 Posts
It was meant to be man. The red still looks goood I am sure it will grow on you. If not you can always wrap it or get it painted later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put more kms on the grom. It gets funner to ride. The brakes are fully broken in and they are great
Mirrors aren't as bad as first thought but will be replaced.

High clutch point is still high to grab.
Tires are pretty good at 20C sunny weather.
Once I remove the pegs feelers and cut the pegs inch off I should be able to scrub the tires full
I have about 1 cm to go front and rear but the feelers keep scraping

Wheelies are coming along nice by sitting at the back of the seat. Rolling about 8-10kmh and reving to 8-9000 rpm and dropping the clutch.

Power is still not earth shattering but more than enough to zip in and out of traffic and park cars.
Best feature is how nimble this machine is.
Girls that are starting out really love how easy it is to ride the grom
Definitely more fun and easier to ride than the cbr125

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah the red has grown on me so much so that I have decided not to wrap the bike in orange matte anymore. Gonna put more red paint on the black parts actually. Weird my other bike is an 08 cbr125 to it's for sale now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts