Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
see if you can get a mircofiche of the forks exploded, then itll show if that top nut is threaded or just pushed in, then you can figure out if you can just pry it off or unscrew it

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just unbolt the top triple(leave the bottom triple clamp tight) loosen but do not remove the top of the fork no need to touch the Allen screw. Remove the fork the rest of the way, loosen the cap the rest of the way. Turn upside down over a pan and pump. Measure what comes out should be close to 200cc. Refill with same amount or a very small amount more like 10cc. Do not over fill you need the air gap the oil does not compress and if there is no air gap the fork seals will blow.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used 20wt bellray that I had left over from a SV650 I used to race. But be warned that it did not look much thicker and manufactures us a different scale sometimes. A guy on the WERA forum once made a chart that showed different oils and weights.

Try a harley shop they have old style forks on most of there bikes still and would be more likely to have the thick stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
moved to main for more visibility

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Grom Fork Oil

Guys,
In all my testing, the grom/MSX125 forks need 30wt fork oil. I use Spectro, and I mix my own. The forks respond well to added air pressure, 12psi/15psi, and I weight 190 lb's. Just a thought, until you replace the rubber bushings in the swingarm, don't waste you money on an aftermarket shock. The swingarm is so bound up by the bonded steel/rubber bushings that it will not make a difference.
Brian

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Air Fork Parts?

The reality is that I can make them at any time, I have the parts. I have only made the one set for my test bike at this point. If you include changing the shock oil out, and machining all the parts, and installing the air fork system, I'm guessing it will be a couple of hundred dollars. You need a simple low pressure regulator from McMaster-Carr supply. It really might make more sense to ship me the fork legs? Then it's done correctly. I'll spend some time this week trying to get a real price with & without me doing the change to customer forks.
Good Question
Brian

·
Registered
995 Posts
Guys,
In all my testing, the grom/MSX125 forks need 30wt fork oil. I use Spectro, and I mix my own. The forks respond well to added air pressure, 12psi/15psi, and I weight 190 lb's. Just a thought, until you replace the rubber bushings in the swingarm, don't waste you money on an aftermarket shock. The swingarm is so bound up by the bonded steel/rubber bushings that it will not make a difference.
Brian
great tip. this should save some people money, better to do this than buy an aftermarket shock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.