Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to do a little blurb about my day. just because I sometimes enjoy writing a bit
Ice Day
As a kid, every time it snows means days off school and sledding and other kinds of fun. As an adult, those days no longer exist, but snow usually brings the misery of doubled commute times, idiots on the roads, missing staff at work, and other not so fun things. Well, I managed to get a snow day as an adult. Monday we got a foot of very heavy wet snow, and of course I did have to go to work, but two days later, we had a ton of freezing rain. The snow hasn't melted, and the thick layer of ice on top made all the branches incredibly heavy. So as you would expect, they all fell down. Everywhere. Mostly it seems on top of power lines.

After coming in to work and discovering that there was no power in the building (and software developers can't work very well or at all even without a powered up computer), I was told to go the hell home and enjoy my day. Of course I was out the door in a hurry and was planning to go to my garage to work on a few projects. Pulling up to the garage however, I found a mess in the driveway with bunches of tree branches (and by branches, i mean 300lb+ trees that happened to have grown out the side of another tree) that fell down. And absolutely no way to drive my tundra into the yard. Well...crap.

Luckily (for me mostly) the garage shares a home with an electrician shop. So we've got backhoes and work vans and all sorts of other random crap. So I was going to go start a backhoe, figure out how to work it (never used one before) and demolish all these trees. Except that the backhoe was dead. Yet another thing that doesn't work so well without electricity. Who would have thought... So I dig out a work van, hook a tow line to it, and drag some of those trees out of the way. Then I use the tundra to drive through deep snow, mud, a small river (wtf?) etc. to go give the backhoe a jump. Woohoo, heavy equipment to the rescue of heavier equipment. Anyway, that was fun.

For the next couple of hours, my buddy/landlord and I spent the time playing with chainsaws, piling branches in the bucket, and pulling crap that punched through the roof of the house that's also on the property. Pain in the ass work, but needed to get done and asap (otherwise we'd wait till summer and it would look like a disaster until then). Then my dad calls. "oh our electric is out, and the house is flooding cause the sump pumps are... doing anything but pumping." Yet another thing that doesn't work without electricity. Notice a trend here?
So I steal my buddy's generator, tell him i'll be back in 30 and try to take it over to my parent's. Of course trees don't just fall on driveways, they fall on roads too. And the number of trees was staggering. The 15 minute drive took about 40 minutes each way with multiple detours, and detours from detours, and having to double back, and so on. It was fun. And of course everyone was driving like there was a foot of snow on the ground (the roads were just wet, except for the trees).

Dad gets squared away, I get back to cleaning up the yard, and then we get the bright idea that we should fill my truck up with some of these branches so my parents have firewoood. Yep, the tundra can do it. Also, as it turns out, I have a nice and soft suspension when there is a thousand pounds of crap in the bed. I love this truck.

After I come back from dropping off the wood, I find my best friend at the garage trying to un-**** his generator (it usually helps if you run them more than once every 3 years...). A can of carb cleaner and some fresh gas, and it's sorta good to go.
Oh yeah, I forgot, this was supposed to be a day off. Certainly didn't feel like it. I'm sore as hell, probably have a cold, and of course I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
oh man. similar thing happened here. Ice storm and all the trees fell down. It was mayhem. Cars got ruined, houses got ruined, traffic was miserable..

Time to move somewhere warm.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a lot more involved than my storm fun from yesterday, but up in northern CT, I had mostly snow and only a little freezing rain.

Playing with the backhoe and dragging stuff with the van definitely sounded like fun.

*Note to self - I should buy a generator because I like electricity.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*Note to self - I should buy a generator because I like electricity.
dan0s don't work without electricity either?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ugh, sorry to hear dude. what area of CT and what line of work? maybe someone on here is looking for someone like you or could throw you some other work?

if you were closer to philly, I'd be a bit more helpful

·
Registered
256 Posts
Therein lies part of the problem, I have a degree in Information Technology. But after college I went to work at a VW dealer (service writer) for 5 years, then service cashier for about 2 years at another dealer, then a callcenter rep for Cablevision a year, and most recently a mailman for 5 months. What I've found is I get frustrated pretty easily dealing with people all day, so I don't really know what I want to do. Just really want to be able to pay the bills and not have to have a real customer involved or retail type of job, definitely no sales jobs.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nothing too exciting, just a bunch of downed trees. I think I moved them off somewhere, and now can't find em

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can photos be hosted locally ?

I know i used to be able to put them up with the motorcycle.com app but it doesnt want to work after the latest update

Sent from a submarine using an enigma machine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts