Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my retro projector mini H1 from retrofitsource website. Kit comes with two units so if you can find a Grom buddy that wants to do this retro you both can go in on the price and I ordered the LH "Left hand drive kit"

I bought a grom head light unit on the website from one of our members and I took apart the lens from the main housing. Tools I used was two strong butter knife and a hair dryer. I heated the area between the five tabs to soften the compound glue/tar that held the lens in place. I started from the top of the head light unit and unlocked the first tab by putting the first butter knife under the tab and I used the second butter knife to get between the seams and pried the seam apart until the first lock/tab came loose and I went to the next tab and did the same.

tab needs to be unlocked
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x666.

I assembled the projector kit, putting the shroud on the projector frame and putting heat shrink on the relay red/black wire. The reason for the black heat shrink is that when I pre-tested the projector in the Grom reflector unit the red/black wire where exposed on the bottom and I did not like looking at the red/black wire being exposed via the reflector unit acting like a mirror.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

when pre-testing the final install the H4 washer did not work right mounting the projector in the head light. the H4 washer had the projector either to loose when I installed it one way or the locking nut would not go down to the proper height if I installed the washer flipped. The solution was to flatten the H4 washer and file out the inside of the H4 washer so it would fit on the projector housing screw hole. You can use a press or like I did was two hammers and pounding it flat.

flatten H4 washer and a un-mod washer, notice the height on the un-mod washer.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426.

I ran the relay red/black wire through the little square hole on the left of the bulb hole

I aligned the projector bulb unit and tested the relay unit using a 9v battery as recommended by the install guide and I locked down the projector unit with the nut provided and re-heated the glue/tar compound lining the grom light bulb lens/housing and proceeded to hand press the unit back together. SAFETY TIP, I used a glove and safety glass just in case the lens should shatter/break.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts