Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured Id take some pics of the process - I installed a Shorai battery in my Grom today.

There are 3 options available for the Grom as far as Shorais go.

The stock battery: Yuasa YTZ5S
65 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) 3.5 Amp Hours

Shorai stock replacement: LFX07 - $100 retail
102 CCA 7 aH

Shorai upgraded replacement (what I used): LFX09 - $115 retail
135 CCA 9 aH

If you are looking for a BEAST battery for lots of aftermarket accessories or want to run your Grom all night with the running lights on lol: LFX14 - $160 retail
210CCA 14aH

The Shorai case is almost identical in size to the OEM battery, no spacers are needed. The bracket is a tight squeeze to get back on but you can see it does fit. Enjoy saving a couple pounds in weight and knowing your bike doesnt need to be on a battery tender anymore, along with it now having more reserve power than stock!

And a little sneak peak of the next mod to the SikMoto Grom :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just an FYI, the true meaning of Cold Cranking Amps (the only true test of starting power) is tested at zero degrees F. Unfortunately, there are no lithium batteries that are actually tested at zero degrees (because they literally would not work) , so those claimed numbers are not a fair comparison

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an FYI, the true meaning of Cold Cranking Amps (the only true test of starting power) is tested at zero degrees F. Unfortunately, there are no lithium batteries that are actually tested at zero degrees (because they literally would not work) , so those claimed numbers are not a fair comparison

Not sure where you get your information but you are way off base. Not even in the ball park really.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He works for Yuasa, he has to defend his product.

The Shorai lithium battery has more power than the Yuasa. Period.

Its all bling, just another mod. Also shaves a couple pounds. A Grom would work long and well with the stock battery.

:)

·
Registered
998 Posts

cut and paste from antigravity battery website
keep in mind in very cold weather below 20 degrees lithium batteries will be effected until allowed to warm, or until self warmed by doing a couple start attempts to provide for a self warming effect for the battery. As the battery warms it will regain its full power. WE RECOMMEND a Battery Heater if you have sub-zero tempratures often. It is usually only the first attempts after sitting out in freezing tempratures that the batteries will have sluggish performance . … but this should only be on the very first starting of the vehicle because the battery is extremely cold and the vehicles motor is extremely cold so this effect could be pronounced. Larger batteries offer less of this effect because of their higher cranking amps.

battery testing
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNbSZTgplA]Actual load tests, Shorai battery fail - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
5 Posts

Lithium batteries do work at 0F. They may not work well but they do work. They just need to warm a little before asking for any large amounts of current.

(I know all batteries are not created equal but the OP is using a Shorai which is a pretty good battery) If you have a lithium battery in an extreme cold climate like that you would simply need to turn on the power to your bike for a couple of minutes before trying to start to get it to fire off on the first bump. Of course if you try and start it a few times the battery will warm faster but this is not good for the life of the battery.

I apologize. I guess you are not way off base. What you said is actually correct to an extent. I had to re read your post to get what you were saying. The batteries cannot be tested in the same manner. :motorcyclesmilieK::motorcyclesmilieK:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been running Scorpion AGM batteries from BatteryStuff.com.I have yet to have one go bad.My oldest is 5 years old,and sits for up to 6 months between start ups.I have never had to jump start it or charge the battery.I don't use battery maintainers because they can be fire hazards.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He works for Yuasa as I mentioned earlier. For what its worth, I have Shorais in 6 of my bikes and have never had a cold start issue. I live in California. A couple weeks ago I went to my KTM Duke Supermoto, turned the key on and the bike cranked over instantly. It had been 9 months and 1 week since I had touched that bike. No battery tender.

When its 0 degrees or colder out are you guys planning on riding the Grom around? Uh huh.

Done bombing my thread yet Alan?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Word. Lead acid is out. I have only one new technology battery and it is reliable. I wish the post locations on some of the new choices were in the correct location but this one seems to fit great! Will be getting this one soon.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I know shorai makes good battery and a lot swear by them. I use antigravity battery due to their warranty compared to shorai warranty. A lot of racers in the motorcycle and car racing world use antigravity battery.
I do not work for them or know any of the owners or workers and the only time I've met them was at Laguna Seca this pass summer for the GP races and to see the Grom motorcycle at the Honda tent.

I carry the antigravity micro start kit with me in my vehicle
http://antigravitybatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Micro-Start-Table-Comparison1.jpg

here is their website and yes I have antigravity battery kit
Our Batteries | Antigravity Batteries

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.