Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grom riders in my area were out riding with a rider on a new 2022 Grom.

They found it slower compared to one of the group rider's stock 2014 model, they exchanged bikes and found the same results.

I watched an online video of a 2022 Grom highway test, seemed the engine torque was weak in 5th gear and the speed was easily affected slight incline, tucked or not tucked, drafting or not drafting cars, etc.

I was looking renew my stock 2014 daily driver with a 2022 but unsure now.

No 2022 model flames intended, just trying to understand what others have experienced to make a decision, new 2021 or 2022?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grom riders in my area were out riding with a rider on a new 2022 Grom.

They found it slower compared to one of the group rider's stock 2014 model, they exchanged bikes and found the same results.

I watched an online video of a 2022 Grom highway test, seemed the engine torque was weak in 5th gear and the speed was easily affected slight incline, tucked or not tucked, drafting or not drafting cars, etc.

I was looking renew my stock 2014 daily driver with a 2022 but unsure now.

No 2022 model flames intended, just trying to understand what others have experienced to make a decision, new 2021 or 2022?
Since you already have a grom, you know they aren't about speed, but having fun at slower speeds. I recommend you just buy for the look you admire most. If you want speed get a real sport bike; if you just want a little more acceleration, drop a tooth on the front sprocket or add a cam or both. Choosing a Grom is about fun and no choice is a bad choice when it is a Grom. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you already have a grom, you know they aren't about speed, but having fun at slower speeds. I recommend you just buy for the look you admire most. If you want speed get a real sport bike; if you just want a little more acceleration, drop a tooth on the front sprocket or add a cam or both. Choosing a Grom is about fun and no choice is a bad choice when it is a Grom. Good luck and have fun!
My impression is that the 2022 Grom puts more focus on torque at lower rpms by using a longer stroke and a smaller bore. My 2022 Grom SP accelerates "rapidly" up to about 45 mph. From there to 60 mph, acceleration is at a more leisurely rate. It's a hoot to ride, but the drop off in speed is very noticeable when going up steep hills. That's why I'm mulling over the possibility of installing the Yoshimura RS-9 Street muffler. The actual horsepower info (sent to me by Yoshimura) indicates that the max torque level continues by at least an additional 1000 rpm with the RS-9 Street, with horsepower increasing by about 0.9 hp. The stronger torque performance should improve hill climbing speeds. And the RS-9 Street doesn't require readjusting the fuel/air mixture. First, though, I want to make sure that installing that muffler doesn't negate the warranty.
Johnny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts