Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I asked the Honda Dealer what the extended warranty would cost and they replied with about $500 for the additional 4 years of coverage, but they noted that the coverage only extended to the engine part and none of the things like handlebars or wheels or anything like that (understandable). Will you be paying for the extended warranty?

Is it worth it given that these bikes are so new and feel like their still in the beta test phase without having any time for tweeks or remodels like (Iphone 4 versus Iphone 4S) type of thing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to work for a company who sold extended warranties. It was a cash cow business. Take your money, get little or no service.

My recommendation is to tell them to stick it up their ***.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldn't get an extended warranty. The bike is such a good value to begin with, I would take my chances.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The warranty only covers manufacture defects. If anything goes around due to operator error then Honda won't cover it...

So no. An extra 4 years of coverage usually aren't necessary.

·
Registered
192 Posts
how i see it, these bikes are cheap and if anything goes wrong with them, it wont cost that much. plus there are so many wicked modifications out their to do that void the warranty, so i woudn't even care about warranty to being

·
Registered
128 Posts
The idea behind extended warranties for most is peace of mind, but you will still likely be presented with anxiety from the unknown. For example, you will not know for sure they are going to cover a problem if it occurs....especially if you modify the bike in any way or do your own maintenance. There are a ton of horror stories out there of dealers not honoring warranties. Now if you do rely on Honda to do all your recommended warranty work and do a lot of riding, it is going to get very expensive. I can only guess that a typical 2500-mile or 7500-mile maintenance apt where they check valves and/or check change spark plugs and clean the oil spinner would be something like $200-300. For less than $20, you can do it yourself...plus you won't have to leave the bike with them the way you will to have the valves checked cause they do that on a cold engine. The service manual is $45, spark plugs are like $4 each, the air filter element is $9, and a quart of Rotella T6 is about $5. The beauty of this little bike is that it is simple...the spark plug, valves, air filter are very easy to access. No, I won't do the extended warranty, or a maintenance contract either. Cash cows is right. This is why they have a special person who tries to talk you into those things. All the big dealerships work this the same way be it Honda, Kawasaki, whatever. Plus the bike is cheap, so that's the other reason you wouldn't maybe want an extended warranty. If an engine did blow in the 3rd year, you could just walk away. By that time the bike may only be worth $1500. I feel the same way about insurance. Insurance is for people who can't afford the bike in the first place cause it too is a losing proposition....aka cash cow. Of course if you finance, the bank insists you insure it, but I don't insure anything...house, cars, bikes...other than liability on cars. So if something goes wrong, I would just buy another one. Of course nothing has ever gone wrong and I have saved maybe $100,000 in insurance over the years. Your choice though. End of lecture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nope, I pass on the extended warranty and service contracts. I prefer to take my chances and save the money, especially if there is a deductible or I can make the repair myself. However, I know they can afford you peace of mind.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nope, I pass on the extended warranty and service contracts. I prefer to take my chances and save the money, especially if there is a deductible or I can make the repair myself. However, I know they can afford you peace of mind.
thats the thing, having peace of mind over a product you paid good money for is a nice thing to have. IF this was say a .... CBR1000 I'd get warranty, no point when the bike is sub $4k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Extended warranty only covers the engine... OK not worth it, however if they covered the electrical, frame, suspension, etc.. then yes I would get the extended warranty. I have owned many different bikes from a 1972 Honda CB200s to as new as a 2010 ZX14. In all the different bikes I have owned I have never had an engine issue. I have had switches fail, and all kinds of sensors go out. In the case of the 72 CB200s all of the wiring terminated behind the main head lamp, all the fuses, relays, etc... so that was a nightmare when the housing for the head lamp seal went out with out me knowing... Yeah had to completely rewire the bike from scratch, no replacement harnesses around. Oh and had bikes with less the 5k miles on it spring a leak on the front forks (never abused the bike, just started leaking one day). So no would not buy the extended warranty for the Grom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts