Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the msx/125, but is the design like any other that parts would swap with? Is it similar enough to put a different engine on it with a 5 speed, or to modify this one?

·
Registered
114 Posts
LOL... it's only using the base motor from Honda 50's that has been used since the 60's!

There are a ton of options out there... If I screw up this motor I'll end up going with one of the BIG knock off motors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
By the way, same base motor goes across several 50/70/80/90 motors.

I have a chinese 125 in one bike and a chinese 150 in another. They all pretty much look the same... different color schemes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This motor does indeed go back a LONG way. But the motor in it's current state was sourced from the Honda Wave 125i, which is a little Super Cub-like scooter and one of the best selling vehicles in the world. For the MSX/Grom they added a clutch and 5-speed transmission.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission is what I am trying to figure out. Can it be upgraded to a 5 speed. The current Grom is a 4 speed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
4-speed! My bad. I'm sure someone could come up with something that would fit, but would it last as long as the factory trans? There's got to be a reason Honda didn't see fit to 5-speed in it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This motor does indeed go back a LONG way. But the motor in it's current state was sourced from the Honda Wave 125i, which is a little Super Cub-like scooter and one of the best selling vehicles in the world. For the MSX/Grom they added a clutch and 5-speed transmission.
that I didnt know

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice scoot, isn't it? Also, it's still got a kickstart lever. I wonder how hard it'd be to install one on the Grom...

·
Registered
149 Posts
So why couldn't honda just use that transmission with the 5 speed!
I guess I should clarify: The original transmission in the Wave is the same transmission in the Grom/MSX. I was mistaken. My bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts