Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...here's a concern of mine. I put a deposit on my Grom already, and I'm thinking of having the dealer call me before they even un-crate it. I realize that I can't just take it home in a crate, or else I would. Their service dept has to open it and prep it for warranty reasons, I get that. But who else here is a little concerned about a fellow bike nut and mechanic taking their Grom for a few laps around the parking lot? A lot of people are looking forward to this bike, and a LOT of people are going to want the chance to take it for a spin, since they won't be able to get one of their own for a while. Do you think my concern is bogus and that the dealer would never allow that, or do you think it's one of those things that happens all the time, and that maybe I should try to stop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not too concerned with it. I even offered to the sales guy that he can try it out after I get it. I guess it depends on how you want to break it in. I plan on not babying it too much right from the start anyhow. I may be a little pissed if I were to pick it up with 5+ miles on it tho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tell the dealer you are going to be shipping the bike and you don't want any fuel put in it. It makes perfect sense and you won't appear to be doubting their integrity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So...here's a concern of mine. I put a deposit on my Grom already, and I'm thinking of having the dealer call me before they even un-crate it. I realize that I can't just take it home in a crate, or else I would. Their service dept has to open it and prep it for warranty reasons, I get that. But who else here is a little concerned about a fellow bike nut and mechanic taking their Grom for a few laps around the parking lot? A lot of people are looking forward to this bike, and a LOT of people are going to want the chance to take it for a spin, since they won't be able to get one of their own for a while. Do you think my concern is bogus and that the dealer would never allow that, or do you think it's one of those things that happens all the time, and that maybe I should try to stop?

Seriously man, you're too paranoid. By Honda's PDI form they are supposed to ride the bike for a few miles. Most dealers are responsible enough not to beat the piss out of new bikes when they come in. If you don't have a dealer you trust enough to set your bike up then you need a new dealer. Wouldn't you rather them find something wrong with the bike riding down the road than you find it the hard way? That's what the PDI is for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh and let me add that don't you think these little air cooled Honda singles have proven themselves tough enough over the years? I mean how many kids do you think own a Honda single that beat the ever living crap out of them on a daily basis and they still continue to live on? How much damage do you think the dealer can REALLY do? lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Honda dealer wouldn't start my CTX when I put money down because this dealership doesn't service them until purchased. No battery or oil or anything....not sure if this is standard practice but that's how it was at Virginia Beach Honda Powersports....

·
Registered
259 Posts
i bought mine with 0 km's.. they told me what they thought was best to get started and that was it!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The bike will arrive in the crate with oil in it. I have uncrated an R6 I purchased and I would do it with the grom as well but Honda won't sell in the crate. So make the deal to be at the dealer when it arrives and watch the uncrate. I don't fear the guys riding it, I fear them scratching/marring it with their keys/wallet chains etc. While buying my R6 I saw a girl come in with her bracelets/purse and iphone plopped right on an R6 and you could just hear the metal on metal contact. That is why I want to be the only one on my bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The bike will arrive in the crate with oil in it. I have uncrated an R6 I purchased and I would do it with the grom as well but Honda won't sell in the crate. So make the deal to be at the dealer when it arrives and watch the uncrate. I don't fear the guys riding it, I fear them scratching/marring it with their keys/wallet chains etc. While buying my R6 I saw a girl come in with her bracelets/purse and iphone plopped right on an R6 and you could just hear the metal on metal contact. That is why I want to be the only one on my bike.
You're buying a monkey bike and you don't think it will get scratched? Are you buying it for the coffee table or to ride like it's meant to be ridden? lol :GoldGW:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seriously man, you're too paranoid. By Honda's PDI form they are supposed to ride the bike for a few miles. Most dealers are responsible enough not to beat the piss out of new bikes when they come in. If you don't have a dealer you trust enough to set your bike up then you need a new dealer. Wouldn't you rather them find something wrong with the bike riding down the road than you find it the hard way? That's what the PDI is for.
I hear ya. And I know how durable Honda motors in general are, because I was one of those little kids beating the piss out of them daily, all day. Lol. But I've learned the hard way what can happen when someone else (even someone you trust) drives your stuff. I'm sure that even a few hot laps and wheelies wouldn't hurt it at all, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm protective of my investments, large or small.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For sure I feel a little bit nervous/paranoid that it will get scratched or horse-jockeyed before I get there. But, sometimes the more you worry about something, the more stuff happens to it. Since it is a new release, I am fairly confident my dealer will take good care of it until I get there to pick it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya, as a dealer tech we are supposed to ride/ operate all equipment before delivery -- we get to do such fun things as start your weedeater and lawnmower first - can pretty much guarantee the first of any bike to show up at a dealer is going to at least be putted around the parking lot (we have cameras here so any hot rodding would be busted). You can pull the no gas for shipping bit but if you do have a problem with the bike right off you'll kinda have egg on your face

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
You're buying a monkey bike and you don't think it will get scratched? Are you buying it for the coffee table or to ride like it's meant to be ridden? lol :GoldGW:
No, I have 5 bikes here now. 04 600rr,07 600rr,08 600rr 11 Ruckus, 08 Ruckus. By all means they are not mint condition but if there is a scratch I want to be the one that put it on there not someone else. I know it's a cheap bike but it's still money and it's still mine. It will get it's time on one wheel (front and rear) but I will be the one doing this..

If the bike doesn't run out of the crate there is nothing the "assembler" can do that I can't to get it running. Sorry to any Honda tech guys on here but I lost all faith in tech when they started taking my gas tank off to replace the gauge cluster on my 600rr. I hope you would feel the same way if that happened to you.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just ask them to not ride it.

nothing wrong with telling them that you want one with 0miles on it. and if they say otherwise report back.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My dealer knows me by name when I walk in and anyone in the dealer that wants to ride it is welcome. I have been shopping at this dealer for more than 20 years now. Even had the owners son take my bike home once so I could pick it up at his house on a Sunday when I got back in town from a trip. When I raced quads the owners wife would ask me, "What did you break this time" each time I walked in the door. More than once my street bike got new tires installed after hours while we drank a beer or two.

Sorry if you don't trust your dealer, maybe you should find a better one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never seen a dealer outright reject a request like that, so you might as well just ask. It will probably be a bit awkward, but I doubt they will be offended or anything.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts