Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in Thailand and picked up my red msx125 on Sunday last week and just noticed something last night:

I can start the bike in gear with the stand down...

is this normal for thai spec?
The English manual for eu and us market states the kick stand should kill the engine when in gear (as with every other bike I've ever owned)...

If it should and mine doesn't... how do I trouble shoot/fix it?

thanks for your help :)
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
this is not a bad thing if you know what you are doing. if you're absent-minded, it might be a bad thing. I bypass these safetys on the track bikes if they are there so that there's one less thing to fail...

see if there is a sensor on the kickstand and if it's plugged in. or if it's stuck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its no big deal I'm just curious I guess...
I assumed it would have a kickstand kill and when I discovered it didn't I guess I questioned the quality of my dealer...

Like u say tho... it really isn't an issue if I know about it.

:)

Still interested to know if it is in spec or not for the thai market :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok had a chance to take a look.... no sensor on thai spec MSX 125.... the kickstand joins the frame with the usual hinge mount and there is a spring to keep it tucked away and nothing more... kickstand, spring, frame. Thats all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bet the US parts would fit. To be honest I'd like to see if they changed the harness or just put in a dummy plug. If it is just a plug bypass I like to get that plug so when I ride on the track I can remove the kick stand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can bypass the switch with a paper clip. Just bend it in a U shape and plug it in. old Motorcycle mechanic trick. it's what you do when the side stand switch malfunctions for trouble shooting.

I bet the US parts would fit. To be honest I'd like to see if they changed the harness or just put in a dummy plug. If it is just a plug bypass I like to get that plug so when I ride on the track I can remove the kick stand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok sure... post pics of where yours connects and so I know where to look and Ill post some pics of mine in the same areas.

S

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can bypass the switch with a paper clip. Just bend it in a U shape and plug it in. old Motorcycle mechanic trick. it's what you do when the side stand switch malfunctions for trouble shooting.

That would work great till your knee down mid way through a corner and the paper clip looses connection and I get high sided to the moon.

No thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The paper clip mod is only for the starter, just like the clutch switch...won't affect the bike once it's running. So, no... you won't get high sided to the moon.. You just won't be able to start the bike next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts