Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, hop on the little grom yesterday and take off!

All was good until it heated up and wants to not hit the 1-2 shift. Sometimes its ok, sometimes it won't shift up at all, sometimes once in 2nd it drops down to N!

Oil change every 750 miles. I live on st Thomas usvi so the dealer isn't an option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
998 Posts

All was good until it heated up and wants to not hit the 1-2 shift. Sometimes its ok, sometimes it won't shift up at all, sometimes once in 2nd it drops down to N!

Oil change every 750 miles. I live on st Thomas usvi so the dealer isn't an option.

Thoughts?
Check oil level first to make sure it is at the full mark.

Start the Grom up and let it warm up then shut engine down and drain oil and look at the color of the oil. If dirty gunky looking remove right side engine case cover and clean out the oil spinner/filter unit and clean out oil screen as per service manual.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xIrXh10rg[/ame]

Change to full synthetic oil such as Amsoil 10-40
Amsoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck and ride safe

·
Registered
336 Posts
My transmission sucked from the factory. Catches N instead of 2 50% of the time, refuses to go into 4 90% of the time. It's at the dealer now for the second time. Now they're saying it's just the way I'm riding it, because it rides fine. Bullshit. I've been riding for long enough to know when it's being a piece of shit.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My transmission sucked from the factory. Catches N instead of 2 50% of the time, refuses to go into 4 90% of the time. It's at the dealer now for the second time. Now they're saying it's just the way I'm riding it, because it rides fine. Bullshit. I've been riding for long enough to know when it's being a piece of shit.
Was it this way since new? My Grom has over 300 miles now and no problem with my tranny.

I did check oil level when I picked up my Grom when it was new and I check it every time I ride.

I ride my Grom like I stole it WOT and it is always hard shifted like I do on my Hayabusa motorcycle and no problems so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry you are having this problem with your Grom. I bought a 2001 Kawasaki KLR250 new that year. I was having problems with the trans shifting from 1st into 2nd gears. It would often go into neutral, unless I did a slow and very deliberate shift. I went to a Mobile One synthetic oil to see if it might help. Once switching to the Mobile One, on THAT bike, I never experienced that problem again. I was also having the clutch plates sticking together so that, after starting the bike cold, the first time I shifted into 1st gear, it was quite a clunk as it broke the disks loose. Well, the Mobile One oil did not help that problem.

Not saying trying a synthetic oil will fix your problem, but it did fix mine. If your dealer won't come up with a cure, you might try this. What's it hold, a quart of oil? I assume your clutch is adjusted all right. Too much freeplay at the lever might cause shifting problems.

I hope you get your Grom sorted out. Looks like it would be a riot to ride and own one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Was it this way since new? My Grom has over 300 miles now and no problem with my tranny.

I did check oil level when I picked up my Grom when it was new and I check it every time I ride.

I ride my Grom like I stole it WOT and it is always hard shifted like I do on my Hayabusa motorcycle and no problems so far.
Man I took my time breaking mine in and riding it nice and easy, and after a few hundred started getting into it a bit more. Right from zero it blew. I'm about to take it to a different dealer and see if they can figure something out.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thoughts?
i had the same problem just lubricate your linkage from the shifter to the trans and believe it or not it will be fine

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
keep us updated on what the fix it

·
Registered
995 Posts
Man I took my time breaking mine in and riding it nice and easy, and after a few hundred started getting into it a bit more. Right from zero it blew. I'm about to take it to a different dealer and see if they can figure something out.
One thing i've always done when buying new for the first time in a while when im unfamiliar with a dealer is to try a few of them out if the original one wasn't any good.

sucks we have to do this

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep, there sure is a linkage. At least the grom in my garage has a linkage.
Color me surprised, there is a "linkage" I had never really looked and just assumed it was like any other bike I had where the lever is bolted straight to the spline shaft coming of of the transmission case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts