Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought that this sounded interesting. It's called Kranium and it is a helmet made from cardboard. The helmet currently sells for $130. That's not exactly sheap, but it is great quality.

The Kranium is a structure of multiple double-honeycomb cardboard braces inside a plastic shell and with an EPS liner for comfort. The D2 cardboard acts like a cluster of small airbags which crumble progressively and absorb impact energy.

The Kranium is about two or three times better at shielding the head from force than a traditional EPS helmet. A traditional EPS helmet trasfers about 220G to the head after a 15 mph impact. The Kranium cuts that number down to 70G.

Another benefit that the Kranium provides is that it is much lighter than an EPS helmet, and is therefore more comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
201 Posts
maybe for a bicycle and maybe at 15 mph, but when you get up to speeds like you know 60 mph its more a question of will the helmet actually be there. This thing, i doubt...

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
995 Posts
maybe for a bicycle and maybe at 15 mph, but when you get up to speeds like you know 60 mph its more a question of will the helmet actually be there. This thing, i doubt...
Yup, going that fast with a helmet like this you're playing with death.
better to play it safe and get something you know will protect your head, full face!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mean it does look like a bicycle helmet, but this is the Grom we are talking about. Guess it depends just how fast and where exactly you are riding your Grom. Doesn't seem like the best choice for someone who is planning on riding a lot though. More for cyclists IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
you do realize most people who are not in cities ride the grom at max speed pretty much constantly?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think this is meant for bicycles, not for motorcycles.

I wouldn't risk it.

Not the noggin!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts