Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't figure out whether it's actually in the US or not. Probably not because we don't really get a lot of cool toys. Anyways, if I had the choice, I'd probably go for this. 15hp and only 25 lbs. heavier.

KTM 125 Duke 2013 - Highlights

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liC8hBUObS0]Ktm Duke 125 Stunt 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm all for the look of that duke. If it were in the US and within $500 of the grom I'd prob do the duke. I'm already thinking of painting the grom in a similar way this winter after seeing some of the mods on the other posts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Other than the same displacement engine, these bikes have nothing in common. I always liked the design of these dual sport, supermoto bikes, but the seats are too tall for me. Come on Grom, I have several trips already planned out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here are some good things I came up with in the Grom's favor.

The KTM is 7.2 longer in wheelbase
KTM seat height is about 2 inches taller
Grom has a longer stroke from the factory, and boring the cylinder will yield more (also up for debate is that longer stroke means more torque, but that's a separate deal)
Grom is 55+lbs lighter. KTM advertises 127kg, or 280lbs, dry. Honda advertises 225...WET.
And I can't say, but KTM requires premium fuel. I'll have to wait til my Grom comes in and see what fuel Honda recommends running.
Fuel capacity is 1.45 USgal (Honda) vs 2.91 USgal (KTM) - neither here nor there in my opinion, but KTM advertises that their bike has around a 186 mile range, even when ridden on the edge. How far the Honda will go on its 1.45 gallons is to be determined.

But comparing these two is like pitting a CRF150F against a CRF150R. One is designed to be cheap, fun, and get the job done, the other is roughly the same size but is a hardcore machine for all out hooliganism. Even if the KTM was to come out right now in the US, I would still not regret putting my deposit on a Grom. I wanted a small bike, not a regular bike with a small motor (KTM). Hell, for less than $6k you can get a dual sport!

But...if the KTM was a two stroke...I'd be IN!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now I would take that color scheme and throw it on the grom and call it a day. I wouldn't get the KTM. I like the grom for it's size really.

Not gonna lie this video got me pumped! Just thinking of the day when I get my grom.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.