Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Keep the air filter clean and the oil changed(no real filter) and they should go a long time you will more than likely hurt the transmission before the engine if left in stock form and from what others have said the gears look pretty big for a engine this size.

As a comparison look at old xr100s when taken care of the run forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heat, vibration and lack of lubrication are killers of engines. Keep any engine in-tune and well maintained and it could last as long as the quality of material used to build it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hrcnick11 said it best. Oil is the key to small engines with no filter. If I'm not mistaken the manual says 2500 miles for oil changes. Why not drop that to 500. It only holds around a quart anyway. cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
agreed. change the oil religiously. itll last forever.

Reactions: Floes

·
Registered
327 Posts
As others have said. It's a Honda. Keep it filled with clean oil and it will outlast you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wouldn't do 500 mile oil changes but I also think 2,500 sounds high. The engine is air cooled which means in some riding conditions it will get much warmer than a comparable water cooled engine. Anytime you sit in stop and go traffic during the summer, for example, an air cooler bike will heat up pretty quickly. Since the Grom is clearly a city-dwelling bike I foresee many toasty little Groms sitting in traffic.

Heat is the fastest way to break down oil. If you allow the oil to hit 250 degrees it's pretty much worthless after that. That cuts the oil life down to a tiny fraction of what it originally was. Because of this I'll be changing the oil more frequently on my Grom, but it will be based on how I've been riding, not just from an arbitrary mileage amount. If you want to increase the life of your engine and oil you can always install a quality oil cooler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They should last longer than most people will put on them. Singles are pretty reliable. You should be able to get 50-100k without problems. Just about everything else on the bike will probably need attention before the motor. Suspension, electrical, brakes, clutches, etc.

With a top speed around 65mph its not going to get alot of hardcore commuting or touring miles either. Best guess would be most people would put less than 1000 miles/year on their Grom. So after 20 years and 20k the engine will probably not have any problems.

Reactions: Spyder

·
Registered
16 Posts
ill put 100 miles a day on it while the weathers nice. this thing will see plenty of road time
100 miles/day staying off highways is going to be around 2-4 hours of riding. Thats alot of time every day. I commute on the highway and put about 350miles/week on my gsxr. I did a joy ride on my bike last weekend that was about 200 miles and I was out from 7am to 2pm putting that 200 miles on the bike. I did stop for lunch. When ur bike is limitted on the roads it can go on and the speed it can go miles are going to rack up alot slower.

Its not impossible to spend 3 hours a day on a bike, but its not the norm. So maybe your Grom will break in less than 20-30 years. Most peoples will last until they sell it 2-10 years later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its a Honda, forever.....
Haha...so true. I have a 92 civic that just went over 300,000 miles and drives like when I got it 8 years ago with 110,000. I'm faithful to honda from my good experience with my car. I knew Honda should be my first motorcycle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any one who have ever owned a honda will know just how long any of the engines are capable of running. They are pretty much bullet proof provided with the right maintenance and care.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Whether it's a Honda lawnmower or vehicle the engines run longer than most of the competitors.

Just treat them right and don't cheap out on the service then you should be fine. I wouldn't expect the Grom's 125cc engine to be any different.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've seen Honda Civic motors run long even without changing the oil ever.

Abused or not. They still last.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The good news is the engine is small and open, it being a naked bike, so you may not experience over-heating. Since I live in Texas where summers are brutally hot, I will change the oil to full synthetic at 75 mi. after a hard break-in, 2nd oil change at 600 mi., then every 2000 miles. A quart of Rotella T6 5W40 JASO MA rated (even though Honda recommends 10W30 oil) costs about $6. Walmart sells it by the gallon for about $22. I try to avoid stop and go traffic during the summer or I take my Zero S which does not mind being in slow or stalled traffic. With daily temps at 100F or more now, I've been riding the Zero a lot. There is still mornings and late evenings for the other bikes though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts