Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I got my reduced weight flywheel and oil spinner installed. I was wondering who else has installed these parts? Please chime in if you have first hand experience doing this.

What I have found is it dose rev quicker and gets up to speed quicker. I can certainly tell the torque off the line has been reduced. without that mass Its very hard to wheelie. In fact I'm noticing the clutch feels sloppy now after a 15 min ride. It grabs less efficient than it did before. I'm concerned I might need HD clutch plates.

Overall I like the mod and enjoy the quickness up to speed but I'm kind of on the fence about keeping it installed if it kills the clutch. Maybe I'll just do the flywheel and add some weight back with the stock spinner.

For reference my mods are full exhaust, K&N on intake and lightened flywheel and spinner.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do you will need a special tool for both parts.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I did buy the fly wheel and oil spinner lighten kit but I have not installed it yet since my second Grom has not come in. All mods will be done on that second Grom.

Waiting for other Grom owners who have installed this and what was the out come on long trips

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hey all,
I got my reduced weight flywheel and oil spinner installed. I was wondering who else has installed these parts? Please chime in if you have first hand experience doing this.

What I have found is it dose rev quicker and gets up to speed quicker. I can certainly tell the torque off the line has been reduced. without that mass Its very hard to wheelie. In fact I'm noticing the clutch feels sloppy now after a 15 min ride. It grabs less efficient than it did before. I'm concerned I might need HD clutch plates.

Overall I like the mod and enjoy the quickness up to speed but I'm kind of on the fence about keeping it installed if it kills the clutch. Maybe I'll just do the flywheel and add some weight back with the stock spinner.

For reference my mods are full exhaust, K&N on intake and lightened flywheel and spinner.
wondering if you changed from dino oil to full synthetic oil and that might be part of the problem. Just trying to figure out why you can't do wheelies the HP should be the same and the only thing you did was reduce internal mass weight, anyway would be interesting to know what caused the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking about changing to a new oil as you have suggested Cisco.
It does feel like I can slip the clutch when I dump it for a wheelie. Its only like this after it heats up so that's why I'm thinking the Syth oil may help.
I figure I can also get back some low end by changing the sprockets.
As for HP that's the same but the torque is reduced with the reduced mass in the engine. It just is. No two ways about it. I used to love doing the red light wheelies and now I feel like I'm over working my little clutch plates with a higher revin engine.

I'm going to ride all day Sunday so I'll have more intel shortly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what brand but I'm taking Cisco's recommendation and trying full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oil type will change nothing in this.

It's like you mentioned earlier, the flywheel and oil spinner are a certain weight from the factory, by altering that you've altered the way the engine spins. And by decreasing mass it spins faster but with less "force" let's call it so the motor doesn't have as much snap; it's a delicate balance with trade offs in each direction.

Mike

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oil type will change nothing in this.

It's like you mentioned earlier, the flywheel and oil spinner are a certain weight from the factory, by altering that you've altered the way the engine spins. And by decreasing mass it spins faster but with less "force" let's call it so the motor doesn't have as much snap; it's a delicate balance with trade offs in each direction.

Mike
You are right
Flywheel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went back and looked in my trash bin and found that I grabbed the wrong oil. I put car oil in it. I drained it and put Mobile One full synthetic in and rode all day sunday with no issues.
Over all I think I like the mod. I will miss wheelies but the quicker to rev is a good trade off.

I did save my stock parts so I may go back at some point or possible play with using only one of the lightened parts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hmmm, i want to race my grom in the stock class, so this is a no no for me,

however i wonder if they can even tell through inspection - they dont ride your fukn bike in tech inspection...

so im confused, and its not like they are gonna split your engine case if you win

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah there would be no way to tell the difference by looking at it. This mod would give you the whole shot for sure though.
They could tell if they weighed your bike though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hmmm, i want to race my grom in the stock class, so this is a no no for me,

however i wonder if they can even tell through inspection - they dont ride your fukn bike in tech inspection...

so im confused, and its not like they are gonna split your engine case if you win

You will get caught. You've already blown you're cover on the same sight other grom racers go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah there would be no way to tell the difference by looking at it. This mod would give you the whole shot for sure though.
They could tell if they weighed your bike though.
Hi: that is not quiet right IF you know little about horizontal Honda engines…

all it takes is to start the engine up and rev it ONCE to know if you have done the mod or not.

This mod is very common with the Honda NICE engines some people run on monkey bikes.

Regarding oil, which is the cheapest insurance for your engine IMO, I use Motul 5100 on my Takegawa engines (full spec racing engines) and change it every 500kms approx

cheers
Argie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts