Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I just went and looked at a new grom last night, very cool bike, but a little tall for her. Does anyone make a lower seat yet?. I am 5'11" and was comfy, she is 4'11" and on her toes. The shop guys start talking works performance shocks and all these high $$ mods, I prefer a seat swap!.Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Have a seat guy just shave the stock seat down...
There is little to nothing to shave . . . :(

There is a lot of room to have a shorter rear shock, say an 1", and that will give some more toe-to-ground contact. That being said, I am sure that the standard configuration would be OK after a couple of hours, it is no different to a push-bike where you have to stop and lean slightly when you stop. If you can borrow a bicycle set the seat height about the same and have a quick experiment.

Jeff

·
Registered
288 Posts
Might be able to move the forks a little. Not sure if they are tapered or not. I would not lower it by cutting the springs with the small tires and already short suspension. Maybe softer springs if she is lighter on the shock especially. I would also look for a way to move the shock mount holes a bit. Maybe even a different tire profile but that is a stretch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wife and I just went and looked at a new grom last night, very cool bike, but a little tall for her. Does anyone make a lower seat yet?. I am 5'11" and was comfy, she is 4'11" and on her toes. The shop guys start talking works performance shocks and all these high $$ mods, I prefer a seat swap!.Any ideas??
Y.S.S. - Rear Shock, YSS, Budget, MSX125 - Other Products
Theres definitely not much to shave off the seat. Here's a cheap aftermarket shock I found with adjustable preload so you can lower the ride height and possibly not effect the handling. I'm planning to get this shock for my grom to hopefully make the seat a little more level by lowering the rear about 10mm

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Grom seat is tall. Shorter riders could always learn on a Honda Rebel 250 or almost any cruiser. 50cc scooters are a mixed bag. Some have low seats like the Metropolitan or Ruckus, but others like my Roughhouse have tall seats. There are a bunch of bikes with low seat height...just not the Grom. It makes it much easier to pass the MSF course using a scooter too. I like scooters almost as much as the Grom.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Grom seat is tall. Shorter riders could always learn on a Honda Rebel 250 or almost any cruiser. 50cc scooters are a mixed bag. Some have low seats like the Metropolitan or Ruckus, but others like my Roughhouse have tall seats. There are a bunch of bikes with low seat height...just not the Grom. It makes it much easier to pass the MSF course using a scooter too. I like scooters almost as much as the Grom.
Well yeah baby cruisers are going to be lower, but most bikes are going to be taller and wider

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hasn't been any activity on this thread for a while, but my girlfriend and I are in exactly (!!) the same situation. Really, the Grom is so different from the Rebel, it was surprising to me that they steered us in that direction after the Grom's seat was too tall for her. The Rebel may be low, but it is super heavy for its size -for those of us new to bikes that is.

If anyone interested in this thread hasn't seen this video by a 4'11" Grom die hard, then you should check it out. Looks like the bike fits her perfectly after the mods she reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=175LkoxXMto

Anyone tried any of these mods? Had any luck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I chatted with Motobot on facebook and he said that he has a tail cowl with a leather seat, is a bit lower than stock with 12" wheels.
Also said with 13" wheels u will be sitting higher and advised for a lowering link if u are not a tall.
Looking for US options for this seat cowl, does anyone have more info?
SBK tail kit Limited Edition

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.