Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I raced with Team GROMtastic in the M1GP 24 Hour Super Endurance Race at Willow Springs International Raceway Kart Track. This was a race for charity and our team raised nearly $2000 for Riders for Heath (riders.org). We placed 3rd in our class and I believe 4th overall. The GROM was placed in the mod 100 class which is limited to 125cc but pretty any engine and suspension mod allowed. We ran a nearly stock GROM with only heavier fork oil, modified NSR50 pegs (for more ground clearance since we couldn't get riser or rearsets in time), 13T XR80 sprocket, airbox mod, a horribly too stiff rear shock and Michelin Power Pure tires. We wished we had more time for rearsets, race tires, suspension and engine but just didn't have the time before the race.

We were up against highly modified TTR125s, XR100s. Also on the track at the same time was the 50 stock class which was mainly Honda NSR50's. The GROM had Zero mechanical problems (as expected) during the 24 hours and one minor crash when we got hit by another rider. Just minor scrapes on the clutch lever, bar ends and had to bend the shifter back.

A few of us will continue to race and develop the GROM in the M1GP sprint series for the remainder of their season. They may even has a GROM specific class next season. (I also race an NSR50 and CRF50 with them).

I'll post more photos as I go thru them. Attached is Japanese racer Masaki Tsuji who races scooters and small bikes in Taiwan. He's about to enter the tricky "omega" at WSIR Kart Track.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
awesome job! i just took mine out for some demo laps that's about it.
I agree that we desperately need rearsets, lower bar, and suspension

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
and holy crap 24 hour enduro? njminigp enduros are 4hr and that's pretty tough already

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfC7ZfgR9M"]njminigp 9/22/13 nsr/xr spec final race - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: saitor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M1GP in addition to their Sprint series has an annual 8 hour and 24 hour endurance races. They also had an impromptu 2 hour endurance at WSIR Horse Thief Mile. This year some Honda contingency money was available for the CRF50, CRF150 and CBR250R for this organization.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
M1GP in addition to their Sprint series has an annual 8 hour and 24 hour endurance races. They also had an impromptu 2 hour endurance at WSIR Horse Thief Mile. This year some Honda contingency money was available for the CRF50, CRF150 and CBR250R for this organization.
awesome!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm so jealous, that looks like great fun!

How did the power pure tires handle at the limit? I have some Dunlop tt93s on the way that I'm going to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How did the power pure tires handle at the limit? I have some Dunlop tt93s on the way that I'm going to try.
The Michelins were fine, it was the suspension that was the biggest problem. Now that we have time in between the next round we can work on suspension. We ran 20/20 psi FYI on the Power Pures.

Normally we would be running Dunlop TT92 or TT93's race tires on our NSR50. Or Bridgestones, but it's my understanding that they do not make the exact GROM Sizes. The GROM is 120/70x12 Front and 130/70x12 Rear. The 12" TT93 are taller. Some suggested we run TT93 rear tires up in the front. I think we are going to explore the Maxxis R1 because for now they have the right sizes.

If you do get the TT93's mounted let me know how they are, especially front fender clearance. I'd rather mount those since it's a familiar tire.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
The Michelins were fine, it was the suspension that was the biggest problem. Now that we have time in between the next round we can work on suspension. We ran 20/20 psi FYI on the Power Pures.

Normally we would be running Dunlop TT92 or TT93's race tires on our NSR50. Or Bridgestones, but it's my understanding that they do not make the exact GROM Sizes. The GROM is 120/70x12 Front and 130/70x12 Rear. The 12" TT93 are taller. Some suggested we run TT93 rear tires up in the front. I think we are going to explore the Maxxis R1 because for now they have the right sizes.

If you do get the TT93's mounted let me know how they are, especially front fender clearance. I'd rather mount those since it's a familiar tire.
why stick to factory sizes? we're thinking 100 size fronts like the nsr...

·
Registered
995 Posts

Are you getting them new or used? And what are they costing you? Curious since im looking at my tire options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran 120/80/12 TT92's front and rear for a little while, then switched down to the 100/90/12 in the front. clearance is tight, but I'm also using a Tyga Monster Style Front fender.

this is the 120 clearance on the front

this is the 100 swapped in.

120 for reference

·
Registered
995 Posts

Who that looks tight!

Your bike looks clean though. Every bit of it is sexy as hell ;)
Gold Forks, front Carbon Fiber fender and those tires = WIN! Also all of this is on a white grom, even better. Even on the typical Red or Black grom this would look sweet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AWESOME! Now do something on the East Coast Honda, and actually let us know about it before it friggin happens! ;) hahaha!
Most Mini Roadracing Associations would gladly let you race the GROM. If they have a 125cc Class or some type of open GP class. We just registered our GROM in mini road racing association M1GP in their "mod 100" class with a nearly stock GROM. Most organizations also have endurance and spring race series.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for the tires, we really didn't have much time for experiments and testing on the track. We had about 5-6 evenings to prep 2 bikes before the race weekend. Our concern with TT93's was fender clearance (now we see it's not a problem) and tire profile due to the much wider wheel.

We now have a lot more time before the next race in October and we can mount and test TT93's. My personal favorite is the Bridgestone BT601RSS Battlax.

We're still studying and learning. Joining GROM Forum looks like it's going to help a lot. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very cool. I'll be racing my Grom at the November round. Just waiting for registration to open up.

Hopefully the Grom class pans out for next year!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts