Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I figured I'd start up a thread to post my progress with the Grom. Coming from a car and Ruckus background, I am a modifier at heart, so I expect to make a lot of changes to the Grom over time.

The Grom is exactly what I have been waiting for. I am not a bike guy by any means, but I didn't love Ruckus's either. The Grom is small and mod-able, but obviously much more versatile and refined than a Ruckus.

Anyway, I picked this black Grom up on Friday, Aug 23, in Boise. I haven't purchased any mods for it yet, since I'm not sure the route I want to go with this. Most likely I'll ride this for another month or 2, until the weather turns, and hopefully by then I'll have a good handle on where I want to go with this bike, and can start picking parts up over the winter.

Here is the bike, bone stock, outside the dealership on Friday:

My buddy picked one up at the same time:

Went up in the hills to bomb back down:

Removed that terrible rear ski jump fender thing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for blinkers yet, but I had the R6 tail light with integrated blinkers on the Ruckus, and I might see if I can make one of those fit the Grom:

My first fill up:

My JDM keychain:

Other "mods" I've done that aren't shown yet:
removed front reflectors
removed fuel injection stickers
removed warning stickers on gas tank
removed all stickers on swing arms
first oil change at 125 miles

Here's a pic of my other baby, a 2003 350Z:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting the pictures and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing what your Grom turns into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sweet, but Wow $4.11 for gas??? it was $3.34 here yesterday, and now today it went up to $3.55. Another reason to buy a Grom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Love your 350z, judging from it I think we can expect a nicely modified Grom.

What short term and long term plans do you have for it in terms of modifications?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love your 350z, judging from it I think we can expect a nicely modified Grom.

What short term and long term plans do you have for it in terms of modifications?
Thanks for the props everyone!

As for my plans, I'm really not sure yet. Like I mentioned, when my buddy came back from Thailand and told me about these, he thought they were coming out in Dec, so I figured I'd look into getting one next spring when the riding weather came around. At dinner last Thurs, he mentioned that they came out already, and I was able to scoop one up the next day.

I bought my Z new over 10 years ago, and it's been a long, slow process to get it to where it is now. While I don't expect to take that long to build my Grom, I will need some time to research parts, see what is available, etc. Right now, there isn't a lot available (look in the used FS section!), and what is available is in Thailand and is expensive to ship and takes forever to get here.

I have been trying to figure out what I can do to make my Grom "wild" like my Z, but so far I have no ideas how to get there. The things that I plan on doing so far are standard exhaust, mirror, taillight type of stuff. Once I learn more about these bikes, hopefully a more exciting path will reveal itself to me...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, finally purchased my first mod for the Grom today. Ordered the MNNTHBX FEE taillight setup. I took off that ski slope thing, but don't have any rear signals, and I'm tired of hand signaling. The FEE is the cleanest, most "buttoned-up" rear section I've seen for the Grom, so I'll start my modding there.

While I know others have posted pics of their black Groms with the FEE, I'll post a pic of mine when I get it and install.

I think I have a direction I'd like to go with my build finally too, so hopefully the modding starts speeding up!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
we need more build threads on this forum.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and ride safe

Here in Northern Calif the Groms are hard to come by for the price of under $3,700 OTD most are asking for $4,100-$4,500 but I can wait, I was told that Dec was the next shipment date for the two dealers that I'm getting my Grom from and their price is $3,600-$3,650 OTD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on your purchase and ride safe

Here in Northern Calif the Groms are hard to come by for the price of under $3,700 OTD most are asking for $4,100-$4,500 but I can wait, I was told that Dec was the next shipment date for the two dealers that I'm getting my Grom from and their price is $3,600-$3,650 OTD
Zoiks! I guess that's one benefit of living in Idaho! I paid $3371 OTD, plus like $65 to register it until the end of 2014. Over $4000 is just absurd! And yeah, I was told by both local shops that February would be the next shipment. Glad I'm not waiting for that, I love this little thing!

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
that was cold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts