Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading up on the Honda Monkey bike. And I actually think it looks better the Grom. If I could find one used here in North America I would buy it but so far the only listings I see are in the UK. It would probably be a lot cheaper too.

It only has 50cc but I think fitting a 125cc into it wouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Considering it's been over 40 years since its production, it will be pretty hard to find one in decent condition. You would spend quite a bit of money getting it into good shape I would think.

·
Registered
192 Posts
although it would be cool to have one of those, we do get the Honda Ruckus which has good aftermarket support and already a ton of people that customized them. then there's mini bikes, now with the 125cc grom here I doubt many people would buy it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The GROM is larger than the original monkey bike. The Monkey is smaller. I don't have a MSX125/GROM to compare but it seems that way from photos.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Searching on Google, there are a lot of used monkey bikes you can buy in the UK. But I haven't seen anything on sale in North America. If you are serious about the monkey bike, you can import it in.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Would be cool but it seems like alot of work and taxes for a monkey bike. Just get the GROM - the next best thing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can always customize the Grom to the monkey bike stylings. There was a thread posted before that showed a MSX125 dressed as a cruiser.

·
Registered
74 Posts
grom next to monkey

The grom handles and is much better ergonomically than the monkey. I do love my monkey though. I have both. The monkey is a '76 that i built custom.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
'76 monkey (z50)

Heres a better pic. It has a yx 140cc engine with a146 bbk and tb 300 cam. It is much quicker than the grom, but that will change next month once i get my yuminashi parts for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
The grom handles and is much better ergonomically than the monkey. I do love my monkey though. I have both. The monkey is a '76 that i built custom.
Heres a better pic. It has a yx 140cc engine with a146 bbk and tb 300 cam. It is much quicker than the grom, but that will change next month once i get my yuminashi parts for it.
that's pretty awesome. did you document your monkey build? I'd like to see how the built went through all it's stages! Maybe another thread for that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Partially yes here:

I have to mount the rear brake switch and it will be finished, ill get newer pics up soon and finish writing the test rides up. It will do 75mph pretty easily and is a lot of fun to ride.

Custom '74 z50 project
Awesome just skimmed through it real quick, props for putting in all that work into it. Love seeing how you took it from a frame on wheels to what it current is, good job dude!

can we expect a grom build as crazy as that? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grom build

Partially yes here:

I have to mount the rear brake switch and it will be finished, ill get newer pics up soon and finish writing the test rides up. It will do 75mph pretty easily and is a lot of fun to ride.

Custom '74 z50 project
Awesome just skimmed through it real quick, props for putting in all that work into it. Love seeing how you took it from a frame on wheels to what it current is, good job dude!

can we expect a grom build as crazy as that? :)

Thanks,

The grom wont be that extreme, but i will be getting a 150 bore kit for it, the progressive double valve springs and a cam from yuminashi next month so ill do a write up of that. Once i change the first set of tires ill be powder-coating the rims candy blue. The inspiration was from this bike at my local BMW dealership. An HP4 s1000rr. The white and candy blue rims look nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks,

The grom wont be that extreme, but i will be getting a 150 bore kit for it, the progressive double valve springs and a cam from yuminashi next month so ill do a write up of that. Once i change the first set of tires ill be powder-coating the rims candy blue. The inspiration was from this bike at my local BMW dealership. An HP4 s1000rr. The white and candy blue rims look nice.
Nice start with going with a 150 bore kit. What sort of power gains are you going to expect with that Bore kit and and the rest of the performance mods you have planned?

Looking forward to that build thread.

Will you be adding any candy blue accents on the body to help create more of a blue color theme?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im not really sure, but im guessing with a cam, 150cc kit, exhaust and an efi tuner i can get about ~15hp with the stock head and more torque of course. With a new head and the 31mm throttle body I'm guessing 17hp should be achievable with a 150cc. Eventually i might get a piston and bore up to 180cc then maybe 20hp could be doable. This is just guessing based on some of the numbers I've seen from the honda Nice engine builds. For the color theme i will be doing some blue stuff to accent the blue rims. I already have a blue anodized steering stem nut, its not much but a start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im not really sure, but im guessing with a cam, 150cc kit, exhaust and an efi tuner i can get about ~15hp with the stock head and more torque of course. With a new head and the 31mm throttle body I'm guessing 17hp should be achievable with a 150cc. Eventually i might get a piston and bore up to 180cc then maybe 20hp could be doable. This is just guessing based on some of the numbers I've seen from the honda Nice engine builds. For the color theme i will be doing some blue stuff to accent the blue rims. I already have a blue anodized steering stem nut, its not much but a start.
how about a blue extended swingarm ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really want a Monkey Bike?

You can buy a brand new Monkey / Z50 (clone)... street legal... in the USA.

When I say clone, I mean _clone_. Almost 100% of OEM Honda parts, which are readily available, fit.

Is it Honda quality? No. Can it be made pretty bad-ass? totally.

Mini Rover 125 - Pitster Pro

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks,

that is one awesome color scheme.

Looking forward to that writeup.

Excuse the lame question but what is the advantage of the double valve springs?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I've been reading up on the Honda Monkey bike. And I actually think it looks better the Grom. If I could find one used here in North America I would buy it but so far the only listings I see are in the UK. It would probably be a lot cheaper too.

It only has 50cc but I think fitting a 125cc into it wouldn't be too hard.

Those are both custom Honda Z50s. HUGE HUGE aftermarket for them. That's why I have 7 Honda 50s. hehe

Honda XR50 parts CRF50 parts Z50 parts CT70 XR70 CRF70 parts performance KLX110 parts DRZ110 accessories XR100 CRF70 XR70 CRF100 NOS Honda pitbike pitbikes XR50 Z50 Honda minitrail CT70 Honda NOS parts Z50 CT70, Honda trail 50 70 , Honda Z50 CRF50 QA
www.fast50s.com
www.50stunt.com
CHPUSA.NET
and on and on and on...

Here are some cool old fiddys in the group Im a part of.
www.twfwe.com

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Oh and the chrome Z50 is SUPER rare. 1986 Z50 Christmas Special

The bottom one is a pieced together Chinese parts bike with a big motor.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts