Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently contacted my dealership and they said the out the door price is approximately $4200. Although I'm in California, 40% marke-up is more like something you would expect in Dubai.
What do you guys see in other states?

Oh yeah and I have had Peugeot mopeds, Pocket bikes, Zuma scooters, YSRs, and about 40 mixed bikes from a Chinese KPX150 dirt bike to a Ural 750 side car rig, along with the obligatory sport bikes and even a full dress Voyager XII. My motto is if it has two wheels and a motor I want to ride it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have recently contacted my dealership and they said the out the door price is approximately $4200. Although I'm in California, 40% marke-up is more like something you would expect in Dubai.
What do you guys see in other states?

Oh yeah and I have had Peugeot mopeds, Pocket bikes, Zuma scooters, YSRs, and about 40 mixed bikes from a Chinese KPX150 dirt bike to a Ural 750 side car rig, along with the obligatory sport bikes and even a full dress Voyager XII. My motto is if it has two wheels and a motor I want to ride it.
I had to pass on my deposit yesterday in California... I hear most are paying $4300 OTD after mark up. Berts mega mall wanted $5k plus haha what a joke! It gets better because I heard they actually got that for the first 3 units they had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would laugh in their face and walk out if they tried to get me to pay anything above the sticker price. Dealers are just being greedy as usual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't blame them for trying. The markup at msrp is somewhere around $60. Brand new model with limited availability. If you can get it more power to ya.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar experience a few years back. We agreed to a price, etc. and had the paper ready, but had to wait till the next day to pickup and sign. The dealer then tried to tack on so many extra fees. I just had walk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealers are free to charge whatever they like, I'm not happy about it either but the sad truth is if you want to be one of the first it'll cost you extra.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Only on those insane coastal areas my friends... here in the middle of the country we are kind, reasonable folk. Pick up the phone and call any midwestern dealer and you'll have a far better experience. I bought mine from Rod's Powersports in Lincoln, NE and I wouldn't hesitate to send my best friends there to buy a bike. Their fees were extremely reasonable, they actually worked a bit to make the process even easier for me which is hard to do considering I was paying for it outright... Excellent staff. There was a reason I went to them though and it had something to do with the attitude of dealers closer to me.

A wise man told me recently... "Some dealers act as if they are doing you a favor by letting you buy a bike". Yep. If you have problems with your local dealers then look further away. Traveling back with a Grom in your truck isn't as expensive as paying $4k-$5k out the door... OUCH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never purchased a bike new. If I did, I would never pay that much of a mark up. Someone will, but I'll just wait until they have leftover stock or buy it used. It's the same case with car dealers when the hot little car comes out. I remember Saturn having issues with dealers marking up the price on the little Saturn Sky. I also remember people paying $10k over sticker price. Unfortunately for everyone, the Sky owner got to skip the waiting line and make everyone wait longer, the dealership had to give back the extra cash to the customer, Saturn had a ton of bad press, and the Sky owner had to find out a few years later that the car brand is done anyway.

Lesson of the story, pay what you're willing to pay and if you can't get what you want, find something else. I can't imagine spending $5k on a Grom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree to markup and not getting a "sale" price. I put in a deposit early to make sure I could get my 2 groms. Now that i've talked to the dealer (here in CA) they want ~$4200. The list price is $2999. That's a 40% marke-up, in comparison in 2002 I was going to buy a brand new Yamaha R1 for ~$12000 when the list price was ~$10000 that's a 20% markup I was willing to put up with.
The dealerships don't need to worry about making a living since they can't even keep an inventory sufficient to accommodate the demand, however, 40% markup is highway robbery and if I have to lose my deposit I may do that.
In my view either these are a great success and Honda will continue to ship them in while Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha make their version or it's a bust after people ride them for a while and demand will drop. Either way, in teh coming year or two the new and used market will have plenty of good deals in this new bracket.
With all this in mind it would be to the disadvantage of dealers not to give us a decent price. Come on $400 for setup and $300 for shipping is just nonsense.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I agree to markup and not getting a "sale" price. I put in a deposit early to make sure I could get my 2 groms. Now that i've talked to the dealer (here in CA) they want ~$4200. The list price is $2999. That's a 40% marke-up, in comparison in 2002 I was going to buy a brand new Yamaha R1 for ~$12000 when the list price was ~$10000 that's a 20% markup I was willing to put up with.
The dealerships don't need to worry about making a living since they can't even keep an inventory sufficient to accommodate the demand, however, 40% markup is highway robbery and if I have to lose my deposit I may do that.
In my view either these are a great success and Honda will continue to ship them in while Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha make their version or it's a bust after people ride them for a while and demand will drop. Either way, in teh coming year or two the new and used market will have plenty of good deals in this new bracket.
With all this in mind it would be to the disadvantage of dealers not to give us a decent price. Come on $400 for setup and $300 for shipping is just nonsense.

40% markup is ridicilous but they know being in CA that they will be a good number of people willing to pay that if they really want the Grom, it's best to move on to another dealer that actually sells the Grom for MSRP and not MSRP + a$$ rape

1 - 16 of 16 Posts