Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, UPS was good to me today, brought my Grom set of power pure Michelin tires and parts for my 1971 Honda SL-125, rear chain, clutch cable and some nuts and bolts. Parts ordered from BikeBandit

next item to online order is the rear Ohlin shock and BrianS custom made front forks air assist top bolt units.

Yahoo, now all I need is my Grom

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! Where are you ordering the Ohlin shock and BrianS custom made front forks air assist top bolt units from?
BrainS is still testing and modifying his stuff so not sure when. I believe he is looking around $200 plus for a set, beats tearing apart the front tubes.

Ohlin rear shock I'm looking at three dealers so far, ComposiMo, Bombay and another dealer.
Looks like ComposiMo has the best price shipped to my house in San Jose.

Like I posted my Grom will be stock for a while until I get at lease 500-1000 miles on it than I will slowly add mods such as the 14 tooth counter sprocket, air box mod, etc.

The tires is a must since I ride rain or shine so while I'm riding the Grom this winter I will do some break down of my 99 Hayabusa and do some engine work and new front and rear wheel bearings and other stuff such as repainting the wheels or power coating the wheels.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question on Grom tires, I noticed on my other sport bike tires when you mount a new tire there is a painted DOT on the new tire where the manufacturer had marked the heavy side of the tire with the painted DOT and you normally match up the painted DOT with the air value input hole. I guess the scooter tires are so small no one worries about balance of tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question on Grom tires, I noticed on my other sport bike tires when you mount a new tire there is a painted DOT on the new tire where the manufacturer had marked the heavy side of the tire with the painted DOT and you normally match up the painted DOT with the air value input hole. I guess the scooter tires are so small no one worries about balance of tires.
I just put a set of mpp on this afternoon. I noticed that there were no balance weights on with my stock rubber
I only put maybe 2km on the new tires but has extremely good cold tire cold road grip. It was 10C and cloudy skies here in Canada today. But my on ride around my block. The tires stuck well. Well enough to scraped pegs and leave only about 1/4 - 1/2 inch chicken stripe on the rear tire. Like I said it was just a 5 minute ride around the block with really no time to build heat into the tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I should note as well. All I used was a hydraulic floor jack to get the wheels off the ground. For the rear. I jacked up on right rear side rear set which pivoted the grom on the kickstand more and raised the rear wheel off the ground. I had some spare car tires laying around so I used those to help prevent the bike from tipping.

For the front tire I jacked up underneath the engine. And once again used my spare tires to prevent the grom from tipping left and right. Total time for everything was about 40 Mins but I have a tire machine

Tool used
- floor jack
- 14 mm box end wrench
- 17mm socket and impact gun
- 10mm box end wrench
- Allen key not sure the size but needed them to remove the fenders (front n rear)

Just make sure you pump the brakes a few times afterwards before riding

I have some pics

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should note as well. All I used was a hydraulic floor jack to get the wheels off the ground. For the rear. I jacked up on right rear side rear set which pivoted the grom on the kickstand more and raised the rear wheel off the ground. I had some spare car tires laying around so I used those to help prevent the bike from tipping.

For the front tire I jacked up underneath the engine. And once again used my spare tires to prevent the grom from tipping left and right. Total time for everything was about 40 Mins but I have a tire machine

Tool used
- floor jack
- 14 mm box end wrench
- 10mm box end wrench
- Allen key not sure the size but needed them to remove the fenders (front n rear)

I have some pics
Thanks for the heads up and info, ride safe

·
Registered
995 Posts

Tool used
- floor jack
- 14 mm box end wrench
- 10mm box end wrench

I have some pics
pumping the brakes is one very important step, just imagine being in a rush, forgetting to do that, getting on the bike and booking it. then to only find out you dont have your brake engage as soon as you need it to.....scary situation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is the grip level of the Power Pures when the tire was cold with literally 2 minutes of ride time and a temperature of 10C under cloudy skies. As you can see the tire is almost used up to edge and the nubs are still on..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.