Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
nasty bug is right.

that was one big sucker. NASTY!

I always apply a sillicone based sealant on the screen so bugs don't stick.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hit one when I first started riding that was so big I thought the car in front of me toss a ice cream cone out the window. I was real grumpy but could tell it was a bug when cleaning. Only time I have ever pulled off the freeway to clean a bug off my helmet.

The first year I was riding, I had my visor cracked to let in air and had a wasp make it into my helmet. Lucky for me he decided to take his anger out on the foam in front of my nose instead of my face. Pulled to the side of the road while watching him repeatedly sting foam a half inch from my nose. Toss my helmet off into the grass and a car pulled over behind me to make sure I was ok. I just pointed and said "wasp, big one" he gave me a thumbs up and pulled away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hit one when I first started riding that was so big I thought the car in front of me toss a ice cream cone out the window. I was real grumpy but could tell it was a bug when cleaning. Only time I have ever pulled off the freeway to clean a bug off my helmet.

The first year I was riding, I had my visor cracked to let in air and had a wasp make it into my helmet. Lucky for me he decided to take his anger out on the foam in front of my nose instead of my face. Pulled to the side of the road while watching him repeatedly sting foam a half inch from my nose. Toss my helmet off into the grass and a car pulled over behind me to make sure I was ok. I just pointed and said "wasp, big one" he gave me a thumbs up and pulled away.
That's a crazy story! I'm glad you didn't get stung! I'm just picturing the wasp attacking the foam w/i your helmet...that's just insane! I'd be freaking out! I hate bees, wasps, etc! They bite, haha.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took a bird to the knee one year. I didn't see the bird at all. My leg got knocked off the peg and there was blood everywhere. At first I thought I got shot (rural area). It was my left knee so I pulled the clutch and stopped (couldn't use my left leg). When I got off I found blood all over the bike and my pants and then I found feathers (and guts) all down the left side of the bike. Sorry no pics but what a mess.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's nuts!!! A bird hit me one time and didn't even make that kind of mess!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was out riding in a group of about four or five guys and one got crapped on by a Blue Heron while getting on the freeway. Hit him on the helmet and then ran down the back of his neck under his leathers. The rest of us were laughing our fool heads off he went to the car wash and hosed himself off on his way home. Never heard so many bad words come out of one mouth at the same time in my life.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Loudest noise ever is a knee puck hitting your helmet on the front straight of a race track at about a 120mph! Still to this day I don't think I have heard a louder noise.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've hit many birds but the one that stands out was one I ducked my helmet under only to remember I had a passenger behind me. When I stopped she said, "That was one big bug". To which I replied, "nope, bugs stick that was a bird". She was sad that she had killed a little birdie. I was laughing my ass off that she was almost in tears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One time I hit some kind of stink bug, it hit the vents in the chin bar. I thought it was something on the road, but the smell followed me all the way home. It wasn't until I got home and found the splatter on my helmet that I realized it was a bug.

On the same note, once a garbage truck pulled out a couple cars in front of me and spilled a bunch of "garbage juice" on the road. I got sprayed in garbage juice by the car. That was a bad day.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Another reason for full face helmets. That would of spooked the crap out of me at that speed. You must of got some serious feedback on your head from that hit. Looks nasty! Might have been a prego june bug.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts