Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for the best option to get more air to my intake without drilling holes. I live in colorado at 5000 feet and could use the air. I removed the elbow and screen from the air box and got some better snap but not much gains at all. I was wondering if I could remove the front air cover and the bike would be ok?

Oh and I have a full yosh exhaust.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Supercharging, Turbocharging, or Nitrous Oxide. :D Those are Altitude Compensators.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't know what that is.

OP, I feel your pain. At 5k ft, my car wouldn't even turn the tires over punching it in 1st at about 20. Here at sea level, first gear is useless and busting loose in 2nd is no problem. That altitude kills all the fun. Might as well plan on modding.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's a little bitty NOS system that holds 10 ounces and runs on a 9 volt battery. Cheap too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can install a K&N open filter right onto the throttle body and that will get you the best airflow possible. Will it help your power situation? Not much, sadly. At your altitude you will need to do some heavy modifications to get the same fun out of your grom that we sea level folk get with ours.

If you are serious about making it fast for its size then you need to start focusing first on a big bore kit and a new head for better airflow. Those items are really the big problems for us making much more than 11 or 12HP at sea level. At your altitude I bet a new head and BBK will be needed just to get 10 or 11HP.

I've heard the K&N R-1100 filter works but I haven't verified it myself. You'll have to do your own research to confirm.
R-1100 - K&N Universal Air Filters, Universal Rubber Filter direct from K&N

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
blow into it. instant power

·
Registered
7 Posts
Altitude settings

You can install a K&N open filter right onto the throttle body and that will get you the best airflow possible. Will it help your power situation? Not much, sadly. At your altitude you will need to do some heavy modifications to get the same fun out of your grom that we sea level folk get with ours.

If you are serious about making it fast for its size then you need to start focusing first on a big bore kit and a new head for better airflow. Those items are really the big problems for us making much more than 11 or 12HP at sea level. At your altitude I bet a new head and BBK will be needed just to get 10 or 11HP.

I've heard the K&N R-1100 filter works but I haven't verified it myself. You'll have to do your own research to confirm.
R-1100 - K&N Universal Air Filters, Universal Rubber Filter direct from K&N

I have tried the K&N R-1100 filter and it doesn't fit unfortunately, the I.D. is too large

Also I don't know how well it is know but there are different altitude settings you can make with a stock ecu.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts