Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 vtx 1800 f and a 2014 black Grom. I live in Houston Tx and ride the Grom as much as my time allows. I swapped the stock shock for an adjustable yss shock. Most riders won't believe this but I'm 5ft8 weight 240lbs and before any mods I did 63mph on the Grom.

·
Registered
186 Posts
welcome to the forum

Most riders won't believe this but I'm 5ft8 weight 240lbs and before any mods I did 63mph on the Grom.
Id bet your lack of height allowed you to get that speed. My Grom isnt really affected by weight. Im 185lbs, and with my 80lb daughter on the back I had the same top speeds. Being 6'2", however, creates a lot of drag.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good call on the suspension. How does it feel now with the yss shock? What kind of adjustments doe sit have, rebound, preloads?

Welcome to the grom forum!

·
Registered
995 Posts
BTW what other shock options do we have aside from the YSS shock? Just trying to weigh out my options before I finalize on something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yss shock

• The shock has a resivoir ,height adj,preload ,rebound and one more adj. I don't know that much of how to make the adjustments but I do know it doesn't bottom out anymore. I have read there is an Ohlin's shock available. My Yss cost me about $250 on ebay and I've seen the Ohlin's for sale for over $450. I'm no expert rider so the Yss is probably more than I need.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would check a couple of things on the bike fairly quickly...chain tension...mine was way too tight, and valves. Exhaust valve was a little tight. If you feel you need to have the wheels balanced if you get any kind of high speed wobble, you can probably talk your dealer into doing it free since Honda does not balance the tires with the thinking that the bike doesn't go fast enough for it to matter. Problem is, mine does and balancing helped that. Those are the only issues. Oh yes, make sure to use some Locktite on the license plate screws or the vibration will make your license plate fall off. I caught mine just in time before the second bolt wiggled out. The little Grom idles kind of rough for such a small engine.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts