Honda Grom Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just click the link and watch the youtube video.

I'm buying a ton of these as soon as i get paid and putting them on everything!!!

thetileapp.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqDm3gZNZPM]Tile[/ame]

Obviously this isn't 100% proof of getting your Grom stolen, but it's for damn sure worth $20 to know where your Grom/belongings are at all times.

:motorcyclelove_smil

·
Registered
995 Posts
the first minute of the video i had my doubts but when they mentioned how your lost ________ can be tracked with other tiles owned by other people with a notification sent to your phone of it's whereabouts when it's in range really caught my attention.

Where can we put 'tile' so it can be hidden on the Grom and not as easy to find?

·
Registered
998 Posts
the first minute of the video i had my doubts but when they mentioned how your lost ________ can be tracked with other tiles owned by other people with a notification sent to your phone of it's whereabouts when it's in range really caught my attention.

Where can we put 'tile' so it can be hidden on the Grom and not as easy to find?
under the tail section of the Grom
under the plastic for the front head lights
embedded in your seat of the grom

more than likely you wanted it not covered by metal since it looks like a blue tooth or wifi signal with special ID code such as a NIC address on your network computer card or a RFI id. radio waves don't travel far if it is covered by metal since it acts like a shield.

Plus all the thief has to do is buy a unit and be put on the list and they can see if you have that device on your GROM after you report it stolen.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tile seems like a great product for people who lose things a lot, but I am not so sure that it is effective for things that are stolen. You can just remove the Tile and then it doesn't help you anymore. You would have to find a hidden away space on the Grom so that it wouldn't be easily visible and also a place where it won't fall off easily.

I think that the Tile is better used for keys, or your pet. I won't invest in one, but it is good to know that it exists.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tile would obviously be hidden, seeing that it's waterproof you could hide it anywhere on the bike with no worries im sure.

as for a guy buying a unit to make sure it has not been reported stolen, when you do try to locate it, you don't have to report it to track it. but if you do report it, he is probably going to get the notice of it being searched for but he won't know if it's been reported back as it does it without them knowing.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
some theft rings will have signal blocking faraday cages, so the lojack or tile, or entire iphone will not help. Even without a cage, the tile isn't tracked via anything except the network of tile phones, so not a lot of good it will do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
and a tile isn't going to help much if your Grom is stolen and stripped for parts.. A. they will find the tile during deconstruct and B. there won't be a Grom left for you to find...

cool idea, definitely has promise to morph into something bigger but I can't trust it yet...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
it doesn't work from far away. it only works with close proximity. and it doesnt work if there are things in the way like walls.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is the Grom even at a high risk of being stolen. Are the parts easily transferable between bikes? I just figured since this is a 3/4 bike a lot of the parts wouldn't be useful for full-sized bikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
under the tail section of the Grom
under the plastic for the front head lights
embedded in your seat of the grom

more than likely you wanted it not covered by metal since it looks like a blue tooth or wifi signal with special ID code such as a NIC address on your network computer card or a RFI id. radio waves don't travel far if it is covered by metal since it acts like a shield.

Plus all the thief has to do is buy a unit and be put on the list and they can see if you have that device on your GROM after you report it stolen.
* Yup * Why not just get a gps tracket like the ones Garmin offer. I believe you can customize it to send alerts to your devices if it moves.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the Grom even at a high risk of being stolen. Are the parts easily transferable between bikes? I just figured since this is a 3/4 bike a lot of the parts wouldn't be useful for full-sized bikes.
You also have to consider how easy it is to pick up and throw into a van, truck, back seat of a sedan.

Then you simply part it out on craigslist

$100.00 for grom plastics. I bought new ones and don't need them
or
$100.00 for 12" wheels. I bought new ones and don't need them
or
400 for used low mileage grom engine. I did a swap and don't need it.
etc etc etc

You get the picture. I'm sure a bunch of ruckus guys can relate to that. I know I can after my ruckus was stolen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the tile would obviously be hidden, seeing that it's waterproof you could hide it anywhere on the bike with no worries im sure.

as for a guy buying a unit to make sure it has not been reported stolen, when you do try to locate it, you don't have to report it to track it. but if you do report it, he is probably going to get the notice of it being searched for but he won't know if it's been reported back as it does it without them knowing.
Also keep in mind that for any of this to work you are going to have to rely on the product being popular. Honestly you're better off with a visual deterrent set up such a a chain, disk locks with siren, low jack stickers ( yeah just the stickers alone could do the trick).

The more items you add the longer the it will take a thief to pick it up.

You could always take this route,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc]South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube[/ame]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.